GF applied for naturalization but never completed.

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

GF applied for naturalization but never completed.

Postby penguin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

According to my uncle, my GF applied for naturalization in 1942 but died later the same year before actually being naturalized, so there is no certificate. I have requested certified copies of the naturalization application documents from NARA.

I'll be applying through the San Francisco consulate. Assuming I receive the copies of the naturalization application documents from NARA, should I expect the SF consulate to raise any issue related to naturalization or lack thereof?
penguin

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 pm

It means nothing if he didn't actually take the Oath. He was born, lived and died an Italian citizen in that case. You will probably need to get a no record letter stating that there is not naturalization certificate for him. The SF consulate also requires other documents in cases of non-naturalization such as a certified census. You'll probably want to gather those. I don't think they'll care about the naturalization application.
Tiffany

Postby penguin » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Well, I am hoping that NARA copies of the naturalization application will be enough to prove my GF was not a citizen at the time my mother was born in 1929.

If I correctly understand the Italian citizenship criteria, it makes no difference if my GF naturalized after 1929, as my mother could not naturalize with her father as she was already an American citizen, having been born in Florida to an American mother in 1929.

So unless the consulate is intentionally trying to put obstacles in my path (perhaps they are), or I have overlooked some aspect, I think the naturalization application should suffice.
penguin

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:46 am

This is an issue of stato civile - I am almost 100% sure that they will want to know if he naturalized for their own records. This is besides the fact that for your eligibility they need to know if he naturalized after the birth of your mother.

This I think is similar to the issue of them wanting to know if an applicant claiming citizenship jure sanguinus has been divorced and requiring a full transcript of that. It does not affect eligibility, but they want to keep civil status at the same time, so they require you to disclose the information and submit the necessary documents. They also require this for your ascendants in your line of Italian lineage.

However, to be on the safe side, I'd encourage you to fire off an email to Annamaria Stone and ask about your situation in detail. Maybe you're right and that's all they need, but I'm doubtful that's going to be the case. But I could always be wrong!
Tiffany

Postby jamato » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Same for me-- you need all three for SF.

Note: I did not have the infamous "letter of no record," but I did have a letter from USCIS saying that they mailed me everything they had (which was his application; not "certified"). Since it was clear on the census that my GGF had not naturalized (lucky for me my GF was born in a census year), she was alright with not having the "Letter of No Record"

I did give her a copy of the notarized request for a Letter of No Record so she knew I sent it out, as well as proof that it was delivered to that black hole (the Ullico Bldg). Nine months later and I haven't heard a thing. I'm not bitter, I swear!
jamato

Postby penguindump » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:49 pm

jamato wrote:I did give her a copy of the notarized request for a Letter of No Record so she knew I sent it out, as well as proof that it was delivered to that black hole (the Ullico Bldg). Nine months later and I haven't heard a thing. I'm not bitter, I swear!

Seriously! I sent out the letter for certification 4 different times.. It has been 11 months, and I have heard nothing.
penguindump

Return to Naturalization