Questions regarding my GGF's Naturalization Records

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Questions regarding my GGF's Naturalization Records

Postby valentinaroan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi All,
I received certified copies of my GGF's Naturalization Records (Letter of Intention, Petition, & Oath) from the Bronx County Clerks Office today! I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you might be able to answer. I qualify because...
GGF born in Italy, June 1887
GGM born in Italy Aug. 1887
GGM came to NY, May 1904
GGF came to NY, Aug. 1905
GF born in NY, Feb. 1920
GGF Naturalized, May 1921
Mom born, 1952
I was born, 1990

1) I've never heard about wives having their own Naturalization Records; my GGM was naturalized automatically with my GGF did, correct?

2) My GF is listed on my GGF's Petition (under the part where the appliciant is asked to list all of their children). But since he was born in NY, he was not naturalized along with his parents??

3) GGF listed his place of birth simply as "Messina", but he did not put the actual town in which he was born. Should this be problem?

And lastly, my GGF's real name was Antonino. This name was used for the Letter of Intention, but on the Petition & oath, he is listed as Antonio. However, his signature clearly says Antonino. I'm hoping the won't be a problem, because his sig. is correct, and there are no errors in the last name.

Sorry that this post is a novel. Take care everyone,
-Valentina
valentinaroan

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:11 pm

1. I believe in the 20's the US stopped naturalizing wives when husband's naturalized. So if he naturalized in 1921, I believe she would not have naturalized with him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

2. He was NOT naturalized if he was born in the US, he was already a citizen

3. I don't think so

I also think your name issue is very minor and will not matter. You have good proof it is who you say it is, especially because of the legible signature.
Tiffany

Postby valentinaroan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks Tiffany! Just one clarification; since I am applying GGF-GF-M-Me, I do
not need to find copies of my GGM's naturalization records, right?
valentinaroan

Postby Em » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Messina will not be a problem. If you're applying in NY, you have everything you need.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 pm

As Em said, you're all set, no need to get naturalization on GGM.
Tiffany

Postby valentinaroan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks Em & Tiffany!
valentinaroan

Return to Naturalization