Oath of Allegiance

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Oath of Allegiance

Postby Tazzarelli » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 pm

I am attmepting to apply for citizenship in NY. I beleive I have all of the necessary documents. Although I have not been able to get the Certificate of Naturalization. I do have the petition for citizenship and an oath of allegiance with the certificate #. I also have a copy of the form NO. 1-Ip that give his naturalization date. Will this be sufficient?

If not how can I obtain a naturalization cert?

Also, do I need my documents translated into Italian?

Thank you
Tazzarelli

Postby Em » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:45 pm

If you have the oath, that will be sufficient in NY, but be sure that NARA certifies it. If your copy is not certified, contact NARA and they will send you certified copies of the petition, declaration and oath. At this time, NY does not require an actual certificate, and this is good news. NARA responds in about two weeks (two hours if you go in person); USCIS, a year or more.

NY requires translations. I did my own (all U.S.-issued documents with the exception of the naturalization papers). You need not translate letters of exemplification or apostilles. Be sure that you have apostilles for all these documents as well.

If you have not yet done so, make your appointment with the consulate NOW. There is a long wait, about a year.
Em

translation

Postby Tazzarelli » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Thank for you reply. I am working to get certified records. The problem is that NARA does not have copies of the records and I was only able to obtain them via the Kanakee County Clerk. Can I still get them certified by NARA?

I am slightly confused as to the translation. I call the # that was listed on the NY Consulate website (cost $2.45 a minute :( ) They stated that documeents will be accetped in english. Do you think I should double check? There are a few documents in Italian, do they need to be transalted into Englsih maybe?

Thanks for the heads up about the consulate. I got sooo lucky. Called in right after a cancellation and got an appt in September!!!!!
Tazzarelli

Re: translation

Postby matta » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Tazzarelli wrote:Thank for you reply. I am working to get certified records. The problem is that NARA does not have copies of the records and I was only able to obtain them via the Kanakee County Clerk. Can I still get them certified by NARA?

If your ancestor naturalized in a county court, NARA won't have a record. They only keep records of naturalization in federal courts.

Can you get the county clerk to certify the documents?
matta

Postby Em » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

matta, a good suggestion. You will most certainly need to get them certified by the county court, and from what I've been reading on this board, the county offices do offer this service. Call them to find out how to obtain certified documents. I believe the NY consulate will accept these as well.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I think your appointment is for September 2009. Did they tell you it was a cancellation? Someone just posted recently that they were scheduling for 2009. You may want to check on this to save yourself a wasted trip. Here's hoping you got really lucky. :D

If your appointment is indeed for this September, you may want to go in personally to get those certified documents.

As far as I know (and our last contact with the consulate was March 2008), NY requires translations--English to Italian.
Last edited by Em on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Em

Postby Tazzarelli » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Thank you. I will call the county court and try to get it certified. I must be lucky. They said that I called seconds after a cancellation and got in for this september.

Any word on whether documents need to be trasnalated in NY. Everywhere I read says that they do, but I called the # and they stated that they do not?
Tazzarelli

Postby Em » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I just edited my last post to answer this, but I strongly suggest you translate. Ours were submitted March 2008, and they wanted them.

Congratulations on your early appointment. You are making many people sooooo jealous. :wink:
Em

Return to Naturalization