Do I or Don't I Qualify ?

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Do I or Don't I Qualify ?

Postby edeluca » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Greetings - I am in the process of trying to determine if I qualify for Italian Citizenship. I managed to get a copy of my grandfathers "Declaration of Intention" but am wondering if the date on it is considered the date of his naturalization or if it is just the date that he applied for his citizenship ? Do you happen to know the answer to this ?

It looks like he arrived in the US on November 1, 1913, he signed his petition on September 1, 1924 and he received notification on January 18, 1930. My father was born on February 21, 1931 and therefore I am wondering if I qualify for Italian citizenship or not. Does anyone know the difinitive answer to this ? Does it make any difference if both grandparents immigrated from Italy ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
edeluca

Postby Em » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 pm

What do you mean by notification? If, by this, you mean that is the date he naturalized, you cannot qualify through your dad since he was born after that date.

If this document is only a preliminary document, you will have to determine his exact naturalization date and hope it is after 2/21/31.

Good luck.

By both grandparents, do you mean your mother's parents or just your father's materal line? Since your father was born before 1948, he cannot qualify through his mother; but your mom could qualify through her father.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:58 pm

What is the date on the Oath of Allegiance? If it is before your father's birth, you do not qualify. If it is after, you do. The Declaration means nothing. They want to know when he actually took the oath to renounce foreign citizenship and gain American citizenship. That day, and only that day, is when he became a citizen.
Tiffany

DO I QUALIFY? someone help me....!

Postby joe8489 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 am

Hi i am a first timer on this board, and i have throughly enjoyed reading everyone's situations on qualiifying etc , its given me a great of insight..

anyway, my question to one of you knowledge people is this:

Do i qualify for italian citizenship? The facts :

1. My father was born in Italy (1951), came to australia when he was 13 (1964), and was natuaralised at the (minor) age of 17 (1968).

2. My grandmother (born 1906), his mother, arrived at the same time as my father but wasnt naturalised until he was greater than 21 years of age. She was naturalised in 1973 when my father was 22.

3. I was born in 1978, after my father was naturalised

From my understanding, my father was naturalised as a minor (under 21), hence under italian law, he was cosidered not to be naturalised by his own will, therefore remains an italian ciziten by virture of that.
**Thus making me an italian citizen at birth?

Had my father been naturalised at the same time as my grandmother (whlist he was under 21), then they would both be deemed australian citizens, and automatically renoucning their italian citizenship.
**Thus NOT making me an italian citizen?

CAN ANYONE VERIFY THIS POINT? or at least give me some guidance?

your replies would be greatly appreciated as I am one confused individual.

Thank you in advance.
joe8489

Re: DO I QUALIFY? someone help me....!

Postby jlg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 am

You triple posted! Argh. For those who want to respond to the hijack try:

http://www.icgsmb.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3129

On the original topic. You need to find the Oath of Allegiance or the Naturalization document. If it is of any consolation, I have seen a lot of Declarations of Intention either without an oath (meaning file a G639 now) and a lot with a long delay between Declaration and Oath.

Good luck.

-JLG
jlg

Postby dannie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 am

quadruple now! ha ha.
dannie

Return to Naturalization