Marriage to South Africans

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Marriage to South Africans

Postby mysticdeliria » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:32 am

I've seen a few posts around alluding to people automatically losing Italian citizenship by marrying a South African citizen. I'm not sure if I'm making the correct inferences from the posts. Can someone please clarify how this works?
mysticdeliria

Postby Tiffany » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 am

It's not just South Africans. Before January 1st 1948 Italian women who married foreigners lost Italian citizenship if upon marriage they gained citizenship of the foreign country. South Africa was one of the countries that granted citizenship automatically upon marriage to wives. The US did the same until 1922 when the Cable Act was passed. Many of these women can now sign a statement to reacquire their lost citizenship.
Tiffany

Postby mysticdeliria » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:02 am

Oh, I see. I was worried for a minute because my father is from South Africa and retains that citizenship even though he is also Canadian so I thought that would make me ineligible. But my parents were married loooooong after 1948 and their marriage was illegal for the first 15 years or so in South Africa anyway due to apartheid. But thanks for clarifying!
mysticdeliria

Postby Tiffany » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:15 am

:D Well then I'm glad!
Tiffany

Return to Naturalization