Census Alien Designation

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Census Alien Designation

Postby alvolpe » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:48 pm

Hello,
I have a 1920 census entry that reports my GGF as "AL" and he died months later. Only problem is that his name is totally misspelled/confused in the entry, although the rest of the family is there. What do I need to do to certify this information? And how do I handle the name discrepancy?
Thanks~
alvolpe

Re: Census Alien Designation

Postby matta » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:11 pm

alvolpe wrote:Hello,
I have a 1920 census entry that reports my GGF as "AL" and he died months later. Only problem is that his name is totally misspelled/confused in the entry, although the rest of the family is there. What do I need to do to certify this information? And how do I handle the name discrepancy?
Thanks~

Census documents can't be "corrected", and all that NARA will do is certify that's it's a true copy of the US Census.

As long as other information is there and correct (spouses name, children's name, address, etc), it should be fine. Besides, if you have the USCIS, NARA, and county letters of no record, it shouldn't be an issue.
matta

Return to Naturalization