who to contact at the county for naturalization records

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

who to contact at the county for naturalization records

Postby macguide » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:57 pm

I will be applying through the San Francisco consulate, which apparently is one of the strictest. One of the requirements in lieu of a certificate of naturalization (since my grandfather was likely not naturalized) is:

a statement from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis and from the County in which he resided. The statement must show his full name (and any other names he went by on any official documents), place of birth and date of birth, date of the naturalization, certificate number (or, if a legal alien, his permanent resident card number).

I have already sent a request to USCIS. I am unclear, however, who at the county (Lackawanna, PA) I should direct my request to. When I called various Lackawanna county agencies they had no idea what I was talking about. Does the consulate mean the US District Court when they say "county"? Any ideas?

Thanks

MG
macguide

Postby zagnut » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Should be the county superior court, or equivalent (the name given the court varies from state to state).

BTW have you already checked this:
http://www.footnote.com/browse.php?kbid ... id%201900s^Documents|3332122

Cut and paste into your browser address bar- the BBcode doesn't like some of the special characters in the URL.
zagnut

no luck

Postby macguide » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the Footnote link.

I searched through all the Pennsylvania records to no avail.

BTW, if my GGF naturalized when my GF was 11 years old, would that have any effect on my GF? Census records show "NA" for naturalized for both my GGF and GF, but I have only found naturalization records for my GGF. I understand that census records are unreliable, but apparently the San Francisco consulate asks for them. Is it possible that my GGF mistakenly thought that when he was naturalized, his minor children were automatically naturalized too?
macguide

Re: no luck

Postby matta » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:24 pm

macguide wrote:Thanks for the Footnote link.

I searched through all the Pennsylvania records to no avail.

BTW, if my GGF naturalized when my GF was 11 years old, would that have any effect on my GF? Census records show "NA" for naturalized for both my GGF and GF, but I have only found naturalization records for my GGF. I understand that census records are unreliable, but apparently the San Francisco consulate asks for them. Is it possible that my GGF mistakenly thought that when he was naturalized, his minor children were automatically naturalized too?

Was your GF born in the US? If so, he was a citizen via jus soli and therefore couldn't naturalize and it's an obvious mistake in the census data.

Also, you might want to consider that what the consulate really wants is a census showing "PA" or "AL" for your GGF after the birth of your GF. It sounds like the census you have shows NA and your GF was older than 10 years old. If that's the case, they'll want the previous census record.

As for your original question, I contacted the county of residence and got a hold of the county archivist. He sent a certification of non-existence to me. You might want to see if that county has an archives, or otherwise where naturalization documents would have been archived (it might be with the clerk of the court, as someone mentioned).
matta

Postby zagnut » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:35 pm

If GF was born in Italy and GGF naturalized when GF was 11, GF would have been automatically naturalized as a minor (prior to 1940). If GF was born in the US, GGF's naturalization would have no effect on GF's citizenship, as he would have been born a US citizen.
zagnut

Postby macguide » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Both my GGF and my GF were born in Italy. My GGF was naturalized apparently in 1911 when my GF was about 11.

I did not know that minors were automatically naturalized if their parents were! Well, that looks like the end of my citizenship search :(
macguide

Postby Tiffany » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm sorry then :(
Tiffany

Postby zagnut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:16 am

macguide- what is the source of the 1911 naturalization date? I ask because you say apparently naturalized- if there is uncertainty, possibly your GGF naturalized later. Before giving up, I'd try to make sure of the naturalization date.
zagnut

petition for naturalization and declaration of intention

Postby macguide » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Well NARA in Philadelphia sent me my GGF's "petition for naturalization" and "declaration of intention," which I assume resulted in his naturalization.

Alternately, is it possible to pursue citizenship through:
-my father's mother's parents? (GGF or GGM)
-my father's father's mother? (GGM)
I know there are issues when you are using female descendants.

Thanks!
macguide

Postby zagnut » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm

In both cases the mother would need to have given birth to her son after 1 Jan 1948 to pass citizenship to them.
zagnut

Re: petition for naturalization and declaration of intention

Postby matta » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:45 pm

macguide wrote:Well NARA in Philadelphia sent me my GGF's "petition for naturalization" and "declaration of intention," which I assume resulted in his naturalization.

Did the file come with an oath of allegiance or does the petition show as being approved? It's possible that the petition was denied. It's unlikely at that time, but possible.
matta

Return to Naturalization