Soundex naturalization date but USCIS says no record

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Soundex naturalization date but USCIS says no record

Postby lemurbaby » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:14 am

I got what I'm guessing is a copy of the Soundex card from the Cook County court in IL after requesting my great-grandfather's naturalization documents. It confirms his place/date of birth, date of naturalization, witnesses, address etc. but doesn't bear his signature (which is why I'm guessing this is a Soundex and not an official naturalization document). When I received this, it was accompanied by directions to contact USCIS with the information to obtain copies of the original documents I needed. After two months, I was informed that no such documents could be located.
Thoughts?
lemurbaby

Postby Em » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:21 pm

May I suggest that you contact NARA. The website is below, and you will be able to find the office that serves your region.

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/

From NARA I was able to obtain my grandfather's Petition of Naturalization and the Oath of Allegience, which also lists the date of naturalization. The NARA people printed them out and certified them (and tied it with a lovely red ribbon). Both the New York and the Newark offices said that they would accept this as proof of his date of naturalization. Perhaps your consulate will do so as well.

The good news is that if you visit the office in person, they will do this for you in a half hour. If you know all the information you list (especially the naturalization date) this should not be a problem.
Em

Return to Naturalization