Time line for non naturalization cert

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Time line for non naturalization cert

Postby cadanna » Sun May 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Ciao a tutti, I am at the start of getting my naturalization issue settled. My question is: in your experience how long does it take to get the reply to the 'Genealogy Search' from the USCIS folks? The first time I sent the form in with the $20 it came back opened, marked return to sender as undeliverable, no explaination. So I sent it again last week registered certified. I have it from my family that Grandfather was never naturalized and kind of proud of it...at any rate I have the census of both 1920 and 1930 that shows him as AL which I hope means alien. My father was born in 1912 so I should be ok. Just as an aside it has been easier to get all the documents from Sicily (Great Grandparents birth, marriage, grandfathers birth...) than even the simple stuff here in the USA. My appointment is in mid-December with the NY office so I hope and pray I have everything by then. Grazie e saluti
cadanna

Re: Time line for non naturalization cert

Postby jcat » Mon May 04, 2009 9:00 am

The USCIS is a sticky subject as the request for the search may take six months or longer. I sent in a search request in November,2008 and only after locating my grandfathers naturalization papers on my own, through the County clerks office where he resided was I able to send in the G104A form with the needed certificate # from the oath of allegiance page did the USCIS respond saying they have located his papers papers and now I"m still waiting for the papers to be sent. Not to mention the initial $20 wasted for the search request that went unanswered until I provided the certificate # from my own research. Frankly, if it is there and you can obtain the naturalization papers at the county level , that is the way to go as the USCIS seems to be a machine of government only intent on capturing our dollars. Most consulates will take naturalization papers from the county level no problem as long as it is authenticated from the issuing party. The muticolored stamp from the county will suffice. Luckily I have my grandfathers papers from the county as it's been six months since my first request to the USCIS and still nothing. Good luck and search out the county level.
jcat

Postby cadanna » Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply; I kind of figured this would be the most agonizing part - waiting for some branch of the Federal Government to be of service. The thing is it would be simple if Grandfather had become a naturalized citizen but as far as we know he didn't ever want to. I think he always dreamed of returning to Italy....like I do quite often nowadays. I read in here someone had used some political leverage to get results? Should I e-mail Hillary or Barack with my concerns? My appointment is in December with the Italian Counsel in NY ... any suggestions amici?
cadanna

Postby jcat » Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 pm

you still have time and the USCIS search may still come back in time. In the case that he never did naturalize you should be able to get a letter of "no records found" which is what you'll need when applying.If you are certain that he never did naturalize then do a search at the NARA( you can submit online) and if the search comes back negative they will provide you with a letter of no records found.The NARA will respond faster also.The census reports will solidify his status also. keep plugging away!

this from the Miami consulate may help clarify some things though it is pertaining to father it will be the same for grandfather:

b) IF THE RESEARCH SHOWS NO RECORD: you are requested to double check with the National Archives (http://www.nara.gov) requesting a full search under his name and nicknames, possible dates of birth which he may have declared in the course of his life. If the record is found, you will obtain from the National Archives a certified copy of his "petition for naturalization" and "oath of allegiance" (Please note: this Office may at any time request that you present documentation from the National Archives - in case of discrepancies - to confirm the identity reported on the certificate of naturalization).

c) If the record is still negative, you may want to check with the "CENSUS", requesting a survey report dated after your date of birth (http://www.census.org);
jcat

Postby LookingEast » Mon May 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Did your grandfather undergo alien registration in the 1940's?

If he did, the National Archives and Records Administration may be able to provide a copy of his alien registration paper.
LookingEast

Postby zagnut » Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 am

Hillary or Barack can't help, but your congressional representative and/or senators can. I'd write each a letter.
zagnut

Postby cadanna » Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 am

Grazie a mille for the help everyone. I was thinking to go down to the NARA in NYC since it is less than 2 hours by train and do the search. Not sure if they do walk ins....I have the two census from '20 & '30 (via ancestry.com) that show my GF as AL which seems to be alien status. Not sure about the 1940 registration but I sure will look into it. I shall write my Senator and Rep - hey I voted for them its not like I'm asking for a trillion dollars. Thanks for the advice this board is molto simpatico! Saluti
cadanna

Postby zagnut » Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 am

Yes NARA is mush easier. You can also phone/email and their archivist will look for the record and reply when it's found (our's took a day or two).
zagnut

Postby piccola_pampina » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm

I am at the same point too! How long is the estimated time for searching through the county's clerk office? Anybody know?
piccola_pampina

Postby arist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:52 am

Some helpful info for those of us in search of a 'record of non-existence.'

I submitted the application online, along with $20, earlier this month. I called the USCIS and spoke with Ms. Long, who runs the show apparently, to follow up. She was incredibly helpful and suggested I send a letter to the Operations Branch in DC, so my 'second search' is done at the same time as my genealogy request. She said turn around for both agencies is 3 months, maybe sooner. In the second request, note at the top that you need a non-exist cert (if you're certain you ancestory never naturalized), and do not mention the word genealogy, as they will just forward it to the genealogy dept.

the address she gave for the non-exist is;

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Record Operation Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204
arist

Postby isfour » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Does the second request require a specific form? I thought we needed the first letter in order to get the second, but apparently not!
isfour

Return to Naturalization