Canadian Naturalization

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Canadian Naturalization

Postby Pauly79 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 pm

How can I determine if my Italian-born father (deceased approx. 5 years ago) became a naturalized Canadian citizen upon or following his immigration to Canada in the 1950s?
Pauly79

Re: Canadian Naturalization

Postby Nicola » Sat May 23, 2009 12:51 am

You need to order a no record. Takes months and months. I don't remember the address but go to the citizenship website and look around it shouldn't be too hard to find the form for the no record. NB it needs to be in his Italian name. So if he went by his an English first name normally the consulate won't accept that. OTOH it wouldn't hurt to get both.
Nicola

Postby Tiffany » Sat May 23, 2009 2:11 am

If he doesn't know if his father naturalized or not, why would he automatically need a no record?

You might want to check out this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... search.asp

It details how to request a search from the Canadian government on an individual's citizenship records.
Tiffany

Postby Nicola » Sat May 23, 2009 2:40 am

The consulate requires a no record to prove he didn't naturalize. No no record means he was naturalized to the consulate.
Nicola

Postby Tiffany » Sat May 23, 2009 3:40 am

Ok, I have little experience in this aspect of the Canadian government and wonder if you are saying they don't have a two step process like that which exists in the US. The letter of no record is the second step in the States and you can't go directly there unless no naturalization has been confirmed, but from reading the form instructions I gave, perhaps it's the only step in Canada? Is that what you are saying?
Tiffany

Postby Nicola » Sat May 23, 2009 3:43 am

Yes. Problem is older records are hand checked. :roll: so it takes awhile.

To the OP apply for your long form birth certificate if you don't have it. That takes awhile to. No point waiting longer then needed.
Nicola

Postby Tiffany » Sat May 23, 2009 3:54 am

Ok, glad for the clarification then! Cool :)
Tiffany

Postby mr79 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Your application will also need a photocopy of his long form death certificate, in addition to a photocopy of your long form birth certificate, as well as another photocopy of your identification (passport, license, etc...)
mr79

Return to Naturalization