response from DHS - USCIS

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

response from DHS - USCIS

Postby Destin2BeItaliano » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:25 am

Ok so first let me give a little background information. I applied for a record search for my great-grandfather on 12-18-2008. I was living in Birmingham, AL until this May but have always kept my mailing address as my mother's PO Box in Florida where I've had my mail sent for 8 years (pay bill online anyway). However the United States Post Office, allegedly under direction from the Department of Homeland Security, began requiring that the local post office to have a copy of the ID for every person who gets mail in any post office. NEVERMIND that I've gotten mail there for 8 years and now they do this and don't give the box holders any notice of the new policy. This occurred the beginning of March but I didn't learn of it until the middle of the month. I contacted vital records offices who sent out the documents that had been returned to them however I knew USCIS can take up to a year so I didn't have any reason to expect it would be a concern. Unfortunately it was sent on March 4th! Only yesterday did I learn this when I read on their site that requests from April 2009 were currently being handled. So I emailed them as it suggests and within 15 minutes I had a strange number on my caller ID which I ignored and a moment later a detailed email response as well. I was given the direct number of a very nice woman who I spoke to via phone 3 times (keep in mind this all started at 3:30PM so little of the day was left) and we emailed another 3 times addressing questions. I was shocked at how quickly I was contacted since I had already reconciled with myself a 3 day or so turn around time). Ms. Long was great and very accommodating.

It seems that they have found a C-File that is believed to be my great-grandfather. However it’s from the Rochester NY Supreme Court Naturalization Court which is curious since I know he never lived in NY much less that part of the state. His wife's parents and siblings lived in Brooklyn but they were all originally living in Alabama. I really don't want to waste $20.00 for a document which isn't likely to be his - any thoughts? I'm waiting for a response from her again about the likelihood its the correct Giuseppe Ferlisi. Additionally this C-File is date November 1919 and he had been here since 1902, married, already had a child, owned property and businesses, etc. I’m praying it isn’t him because my grandfather wasn’t born until 1924.

One other thing is that when I logged in to order the C-File using my previously set up user name, it gave the option of the C-file and also an A-File which their letter, nor Ms. Long had mentioned being available. I thought an immigrant only got one type of file or the other…? Plus, as I understand it, when naturalized, the file number would be added to the passenger record for the first entry into the U.S. by the immigrant. I have a copy of that record and it is not listed. However a 1930 census record says “NA” under his status – he also spoke only broken English up until his death so perhaps he answered incorrectly, or simply believed he had complete the process.

Any thoughts? Words of encouragement?
Destin2BeItaliano

Return to Naturalization