Received Visa Documents, but no Naturalization Papers

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Received Visa Documents, but no Naturalization Papers

Postby LisaD » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Hello,

I'm new here and I've been trying to find the answer to this question online everywhere and can't seem to find anyone in the same boat. Any info would be much appreciated.

I finally received an answer from the USCIS on a request for a C-File and Naturalization documentation on my grandfather. I received a 13 page file that lists everything from his initial paperwork from Italy before arriving to the U.S. up until his Visa. Unfortunately however, there seemed to be no info what-so-ever on his naturalization. I'm not sure if my grandfather was ever naturalized, but since I didn't come up empty handed I'm not sure where to go next to prove that he never was or to find out if he ever was.

Would I still need to request a 'certification of non-existence' from the UCSIS?

Thanks!

Lisa D.
LisaD

Re: Received Visa Documents, but no Naturalization Papers

Postby Em » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 am

Yes, that would be your next step.
Em

Postby enzo46 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 pm

what i have been told is that you need form G639 completed and get a certified statement from both National Archives and Homeland Security that he was not naturalized.
enzo46

Postby CPA21 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 am

[quote="enzo46"]what i have been told is that you need form G639 completed and get a certified statement from both National Archives and Homeland Security that he was not naturalized.[/quote]

The G639 is used for FOIA requests. Lisa D is beyond that point as she has received a response. At this point the only question is the address to which she should direct her request for the Certificate of Nonexistence. I suggest that she use the address referenced in the cover letter from USCIS.
CPA21

Return to Naturalization