How do I know if my parents renounced their citizenship

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

How do I know if my parents renounced their citizenship

Postby Shnaaz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:41 pm

I am trying to regain my Italian citizenship. My parents and I came to the USA in 1952. We were displaced refugees from Pola.
My parents became US citizens and since I was a minor at the time, my citizenship was granted automatically in their behalf.
I need to find out if my parents renounced their Italian citizenship when they applied for their US citizenship.
Where would I be able to search for those records?
Shnaaz

Re: How do I know if my parents renounced their citizenship

Postby CPA21 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 am

Under the law prior to 1992 Italy did not permit dual citizenship. When you and your parents naturalized you all lost your Italian citizenship.

Since you were an Italian citizen you may regain your citizenship by returning to Italy and living there for one year. Alternatively, you can do the paperwork at the consulate before you return to Italy. In that case I have read about citizenship being regained more quickly. If you regain your citizenship your minor children will also receive Italian citizenship, but your adult children will not.
CPA21

Return to Naturalization