Naturalization Request - which address

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Naturalization Request - which address

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:50 am

I'm just at the start of this whole journey, but I see that it seems to be taking forever for people to get naturalization documents for their relatives, so I've decided that maybe it's best to start here and work my way forward :wink:

I want to get the certificate of naturalization for my great grandfather, who took his oath, did the paperwork, etc. in the greater pittsburgh area. I got the link to the uscis site and downloaded the foia form (g-639). while i'm still trying to decide if i have all the information for that (have emailed my mom's cousin about the death certificate) i thought i'd ask you all one seemingly simple question that i can't figure out: which of the three addresses listed on the site do i send my request to? am i requesting 'alien files' so i send it to lee's summit in montana or am i requesting 'procurement information' so i sent it to vermont or does it fall under 'other requests' and go to d.c.?

thanks for your guidance,
jessica
Jessica

Postby Em » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 am

Jessica,

There is a Missouri address listed in the first column of the instruction sheet that you can use if you are unsure of the correct office. They will forward it to the appropriate office.

You may also want to check with your consulate to see if they will accept the Petition for Naturalization and the Oath of Allegience in lieu of the actual certificate. These are considerably easier to obtain (and you'll get them much sooner).

My grandfather's Oath has his date of naturalization written on it, and NY says it's acceptable.
Em

which address

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:33 am

thanks again em -

MO must be missouri and i'm getting my state abbreviation's mixed up :wink: what the abbreviation for montana then? i'll have to look that up and remind myself!

i've emailed the citizenship department at the miami consulate, but from other posts on this board a response does not seem promising. i don't know if i'll be better off calling. but i feel like i should have a list of every question that i want answered should i happen to get through to a human by some miracle and i don't have that list finished yet.

thanks again,
jessica
Jessica

Postby Giuseppe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 pm

Jessica,

I sent my request to the FOIA office in Washington DC. From start to finish it took them about eight months to process my request. However, after receiving my package from them, I learned that the consulate requires a certified copy of the naturalization certificate. The FOIA office only provides uncertified copies of the immigration records. In order to get a certified copy of the naturalization certificate, you need to submit a request to the US CIS Record Services Branch, also located in Washington DC. Apparently the time for them to process a request is approximately one year. Also, be sure to include as much information about your relative as possible as it will hopefully speed up the time it takes for them to process your paperwork. Best of luck.

Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby Jessica » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:48 pm

thanks for the heads up giuseppe! i'll definitely look into what the miami consulate (and philly since my brother will be applying through there since he lives there now) requires before i go too much further.
Jessica

Return to Naturalization