Proof of Natualization

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Proof of Natualization

Postby Mike Truppo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 pm

I am trying to get dual citizenship through my maternal grandfather, he was born in Italy in 1897. My mother was born 1931 and the 1930 census showed him as a alien. I don't think he ever became an American citizen of the US which would then confer his Italian citizenship to my mother and hence to me since I was born in 1953. My first question is since we don't have any info on his date of naturalization or certificate number is it true we won't be able to get any info from USCIS or get a "no record" statement? My second question if I can't find his first/final papers or declaration of intention and petition for naturalization in the National Archives where do I go next? I read that if I could get a census after my mother was born i.e. 1940 I might be able to find the info there however I heard the 1940 census u won't be out until 2012. My last question is what would be the fastest way of getting the info I need should I try going thru USCIS even though I don't have the info they need or should I start with the National Archives and see if they can turn up something and what happens if this all comes up negative is there any way I can make a case that he wasn't a american citizen before I was born and therefore I must also be an italian citzen?
Mike Truppo

Re: Proof of Natualization

Postby sandracapri » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Mike, try the Archives where he lived. After trying many times, we started trying different/wrong spellings of the names. In both cases, this solved the problem and the documents were found. If you can get his wives naturalization records, it will indicate on there if she was married to an alien or not. good luck
sandra
sandracapri

Postby CPA21 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:00 pm

Use the G1041 program at USCIS to see if your grandfatehr naturalized. You can do the forms online and even upload the documents that you have. USCIS will send you a letter and based on what they say you can proceed.

You are not alone in not knowing the citizenship status of a relative.
CPA21

Postby Mike Truppo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:06 pm

In lieu of a "no records found" statement from the USCIS is there a way I can do a "freedom of information" or "need to know request" on the 1940 census since the 1930 census showed my grandfather as an alien and my mother was born in 1931 therefore if the 1940 census shows he was still an alien in 1940 then couldn't I make a case that my mother was an italian citizen and then so am I since I was born in 1953?
Mike Truppo

Postby CPA21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:52 am

You will not have access to the 1940 census unit 2012.

Use the USCIS resources to obtain citizenship information on your grandfather. This is the process in place for you to use. Follow it. If your grandfather never naturalized you will need a formal certificate of nonexistence from USCIS for the consulate. The G1041 process will lead to USCIS providing you with the certificate.

From experience you are likely to have an easier time with the consulate if you can demonstrate that your grandfather naturalized after your mother was born. Many Italians naturalized in the early 1940's when the rules were changed. Prior to the change in rules you had to be literate to naturalize and many immigrants were illiterate. When the rules were changed the candidate just had to sign his or her name.
CPA21

Postby Mike Truppo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info that should help. My mom was born in 1931 and he was still listed as AL in 1930 census so hopefully if he follows what you said he also probably naturalized after 1931. He spoke broken english until he died in 1980.

Mike
Mike Truppo

Return to Naturalization