Wrong Birthdate on Certificate of Non-Existence

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Wrong Birthdate on Certificate of Non-Existence

Postby Grigi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure what to do. After waiting about a year, I received a certified letter of non-existence with a November 10th birthdate for my grandfather, while his Italian birth certificate and NYS death certificate both give his birthdate as October 20th. The year is the same, and it is very obviously the same person, since the town and parents, etc., are all the same. This November 10th date is on all the documents sent by USCIS, so I don't know how they would be able to correct the letter.
At my first appointment, in 2008, I was told by Carla Megale that I needed the letter of non-existence with the correct birthdate. All I had then was the Declaration of Intention from NARA (with the November 10th birthdate.)
Now I have another appointment coming up in March. Is there anything I can do about this discrepancy? Maybe there is nothing, but I hope someone can help. The thought that this will result in a final rejection after the time, trouble and expense to get all my documents in order makes me feel very depressed. Thanks, Grigi.
Grigi

Re: Wrong Birthdate on Certificate of Non-Existence

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 am

Request a certificate of nonexistence with the alternate date.

It can be done. I eventually provided the consulate with a certificate of nonexistence with 10 variations of the name and two different dates of birth.
CPA21

Postby laCasalinga » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Ugh! The exact same thing happened to me. I took the incorrect document to the consulate and was told that I would need to request a new one. Fortunately, it only took 3 months to get the new one, which was correct, and accepted by the consulate.

Good luck!!
laCasalinga

Postby Grigi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Thank you both for replying. I feel more hopeful now that USCIS will help me again. I'd better get moving on it!
Grigi
Grigi

Postby arist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 am

Grigi, did you receive a corrected certificate yet?
arist

Postby Grigi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Artist,
Funny you should ask that question now. Just today I received a big envelope from USCIS, so I thought it came ... instead, the director returned my request with a letter saying that the National Records Center no longer processes such requests and that I have to visit their genealogy program page. Before I sent my request, I called them and was told that I just need to submit another G-639 or a letter, clearly stating that I wanted the letter of non-existence. So, I guess I'll call them again, but it's worrisome -- my appointment is in mid-March and I don't know if I'll receive it in time.
CPA21 and IaCasalingua: Please tell me how you got your corrected certificates of non-existence. Did you write to Lee's Summit, what did you say, etc. -- any information will be helpful. Also, did you get a letter of no record and a certificate? Are they both necessary?
Thanks!
Grigi
Grigi

Postby arist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

grigi, just PMed you
arist

Postby CPA21 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm

I faxed and e-mailed Lee's Summit for the FOIA Certificate of nonexistence.

I e-mailed DHS in Washington DC for the Genealogy certificate of nonexistence.

Lees's Summit promptly sent me a corrected certificate in July but DC did not. When the Consulate raised another question about the certificate in December DC promptly sent me a corrected certificatge but Lee's Summit has been slow to respond.

The current correction consists in changing my ancestor's place of birth from Italy to Palermo, Sicily, Italy.
CPA21

Postby Grigi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm

CPA, that is very interesting. While looking through my papers I found that I had written to genealogy and sent them the fee as well. They wrote back and gave me a case number, back in 2008, but I never heard from them again. I'll email them, thanks for reminding me!
And thanks for the info on the corrections. Did the consulate ask you to be specific as to the birth location? It's important to know which information the consulate expects to see on the certificate of non-existence. Date of birth, birthplace, full name ... anything else?
Thanks,
Grigi
Grigi

Return to Naturalization