never nat'd vs. nat'd after having children

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

never nat'd vs. nat'd after having children

Postby pbuono » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:46 am

According to the ICGS, my great grandfather is able to pass citizenhip to my grandmother because he was naturalized AFTER her birth.
But I went to the NYC consulate website and it said:

"your paternal or maternal grandparents were born in the United States from Italian parents and they never renounced their right to Italian citizenship. (Please note: the Italian mother can transfer her Italian citizenship only to children born after 01/01/1948)."

I'm unsure who they are referring to when they say "THEY never renounced their right to italian citizenship." Do they mean my GGF being naturalized, or my GM who never did anything like that.

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
pbuono

Re: never nat'd vs. nat'd after having children

Postby RomaBound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:58 pm

[quote="pbuono"]According to the ICGS, my great grandfather is able to pass citizenhip to my grandmother because he was naturalized AFTER her birth.
But I went to the NYC consulate website and it said:

"your paternal or maternal grandparents were born in the United States from Italian parents and they never renounced their right to Italian citizenship. (Please note: the Italian mother can transfer her Italian citizenship only to children born after 01/01/1948)."

I'm unsure who they are referring to when they say "THEY never renounced their right to italian citizenship." Do they mean my GGF being naturalized, or my GM who never did anything like that.

PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU VERY MUCH[/quote]

The important point here is that you seem to want to go through your grandmother, the problem being that your grandmother must have given birth to her child (your mother? father?) [b]after[/b] 1947. Italian women were not able to pass citizenship onto their offspring prior to 1/1/1948.

If your parent was born in 1948 or after, then he/she was able to obtain citizenship from your grandmother. The next question being, did your grandmother (I presume she was born in the US?) obtain citizenship from her father? For the answer to be yes, your great-grandfather must have still been an Italian citizen at the time of your grandmother's birth.
RomaBound

Postby pbuono » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 pm

thank you for your reply....
Yes, my grandmother gave birth to my father after Jan. '48 (Nov '49 to be precise). Also, My GGF became naturalized in 1944, so AFTER the birth of my grandmother (1916). So this all sounds about right.

One other question is what's the difference between becoming naturalized and renouncing citizenship. The NYC consulate is asking for naturalization papers but also asks me to sign for me and all ascendants that they never formally renounced citizenship before an italian authority, which if it is something different from naturalization, i assume never happened.

Thanks again.
pbuono

Postby RomaBound » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:13 pm

At the time in question, when your great-grandfather naturalized he was required to renounce allegience to any other country and, in particular, to Italy. However, as you noted, it doesn't matter since this all occurred after the birth of your grandmother.

Now, as to your grandmother and your father, while it is possible that for some very strange reason they would have formally renounced their right to Italian citizenship, this is so unlikely that the consulates require nothing more than your (or theirs, if still living) sworn statement that to the best of your knowledge they did not do so.
RomaBound

Return to Naturalization