I have the original cert, BUT...

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

I have the original cert, BUT...

Postby DoreenJoy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:34 am

I have my grandfather's original naturalization certificate. Is there anything else I have to do to certify this document?

Will this document need to be surrendered to the Italian consulate? I would like to keep the original. My consulate is in San Francisco.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on these boards. I've found the information very useful.

Tanti auguri,
Doreen
DoreenJoy

Postby Em » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:43 am

If you are referring to apostilles, naturalization documents do not require them. However, you will have to surrender the papers to the consulate, so if you want to hold on to the original, you should send for another one.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:51 am

I do not know how the San Francisco consulate works, but the Chicago consulate only requires that you send a 'copy' of the naturalization records, which is what I did, and they accepted it. I still have the original. Please verify with your consulate whether they will accept just a copy. If they insist, you will have to surrender the document, in which case, you may want to make a copy for yourself, or order another one.

There is no apostile, notary, or certification necessary for Naturalization records.
Anonymous

Postby DoreenJoy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:52 am

Thank you both for answering. I understand that the Naturalization Certificate doesn't require an apostille.

Does anyone know if there is a "long form" or "certified copy" version of the Naturalization papers that I need, or if the document I have (which was handed to my grandfather) will suffice? Thanks.

Doreen
DoreenJoy

Postby DoreenJoy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:55 am

BTW, I'm asking because I understand that getting long-form, certified copies from the INS is a lengthy process that I'd just as soon avoid.

Doreen
DoreenJoy

Postby Em » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:05 am

Hi Doreen,

You're correct; it is indeed a long process. The original, however, is fine. There is no long or short form certificate--only copies of the original. Why not check with the consulate to see if they will accept a copy once they have seen the original OR perhaps they will accept the Petition and Oath (much easier and faster to obtain) in lieu of the naturalization certificate. It would be so nice to have the original for your records.
Em

Postby DoreenJoy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Thanks for the information. I've done genealogy for decades, but gathering these certified copies with apostilles is a new process for me. I'll get in touch with the consulate here in San Francisco when I'm a little closer to applying.

Today's challenge is tracking down my grandparent's marriage license. I have a document signed by the priest who marries them, but the county recorder can't find an official license. Hmmm.

Best to all,
Doreen Joy
DoreenJoy

Return to Naturalization