Boston NARA and naturlazation question

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Boston NARA and naturlazation question

Postby Bryan Teehan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Have a NARA nor records found letter from NYC, also a certified copy of the 1930 census showing my Grandfather was an Italian Citizen when mom was born. Will that be enough? Or will I need the "no records found" also from Immigration?
Thanks.
Bryan Teehan

Re: Boston NARA and naturlazation question

Postby RomaBound » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51 pm

[quote="Bryan Teehan"]Have a NARA nor records found letter from NYC, also a certified copy of the 1930 census showing my Grandfather was an Italian Citizen when mom was born. Will that be enough? Or will I need the "no records found" also from Immigration?
Thanks.[/quote]

You absolutely, positively, have to get a certified "No Records Found" letter from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Visit http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d809a77f731de110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d21f3711ca5ca110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD. USCIS is the only official source for naturalization documents.

Also, there is a good chance your consulate will require additional documentation. Check with them.

By the way, the fact that NARA came up empty does not mean with certainty that your ancestor did not naturalize, only that he did not do so in a Federal court. Back in the 1920's, 30's and 40's, most of our ancestors naturalized in state and/or county courts. NARA did not have documents for either of my grandfather's, but the Westchester County, NY, Archives had both, for example.
RomaBound

Postby Bryan Teehan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. Never thought about the NJ courts. Were 97% sure he never became a citizen, so guess I have to exhaust all search possibilites.
Bryan Teehan

Postby RomaBound » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Do you have his death certificate yet? It is another of those things you will ultimately need and it will have an indication of citizenship on it. Though not always 100% accurate, it would be a good guide.

At any rate, if you are serious about proceeding, you should just go ahead and request the USCIS Index Search (https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/). You will either find out that your ancestor did naturalize (in which case you then follow up with a Records Request), or you will be told there are no records found and you follow up with the certified "No Records" letter.
RomaBound

Postby Bryan Teehan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I basically have all my certificates; just dropped them off in Trenton (NJ) for Apostilling; Checked his Death cert and no mention of citizenship; Currently doing a search through immigration, was just hoping to speed things up. But dont want to side-step any documents.
Bryan Teehan

Return to Naturalization