Question about Naturalization

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Question about Naturalization

Postby Anonymous » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

I just received a response from the NARA of a photocopied Naturalization index card of my Great-Grandfather. It has a "declaration of intention" date and a "date of order of admission" date, which are four years apart. I wanted to know which date is used as cutoff for being Naturalized, as my Grandfather was born after the intention date but before the admission date. Also, my Grandfather is listed on the card. Does that mean he had his Italian citizenship renounced? It only has him listed and his age, no other information listed.

The NARA could not find a record of my other Great-Grandfather. He is listed in the 1910 Census as an alien, and also in the Social Security Death index. Is there any other way to find if he was Naturalized? I'm sure there is but I'm getting confused now...thanks.
Anonymous

Postby Em » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 pm

The "Declaration of Intent" is just that--a statement declaring the intention to naturalize. The date of admission is the actual date of naturalization, and is the date that will be used.

Your grandfather is listed on the declaration as a minor child. If your grandfather was born in Italy and was still a minor on the date of naturalization, he would have be naturalized with his father.

However, if your grandfather was born in the U.S., his listing is for informational purposes only. If he was born in the U.S. he was an American citizen at birth, and thus would NOT naturalize.

If NARA has no record of your other great-grandfather, it may be that he never naturalized. You can get a statement to this effect from the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act).

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm
Em

Return to Naturalization