Non-existence Record in Italian Comune

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Non-existence Record in Italian Comune

Postby jamurp01 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has/is going through the process in Italy and providing the comune with a certificate of non-existence record?

I've been at this process for about a year and a half now in Turin and I've really hit a wall- all of my ancestors birth/marriage/death certificates are perfect, and the comune is happy and holding onto them. My issue arises with Mike Quinn's 'phrasing;'

""...That Citizenship and Immigration Services maintains centralized records relating to immigrant aliens who entered the United States on or after June 30, 1924, to non immigrant aliens who entered on or after June 30, 1948, and a centralized index of all persons naturalized on or after September 27, 1906."

Previously the woman at the comune accepted the document, but told me that i had to prove that my great grandfather did not enter the country until after 1906.. so I obtained/apostilled/marco-da-bolloed my great grandfather's 1914 ship manifest. Now the entire citizenship office in Turin has decided that they don't understand the "Certificate of Non-Existence Record" and while its perfectly translated, they have told me to get a letter saying that he didn't ever apply! Impossibile-this letter's as close as it gets! If anyone has had a similar experience, or any suggestions I would really appreciate any as to how to make this comune see some sense!
jamurp01

Re: Non-existence Record in Italian Comune

Postby zagnut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

See arist's post on Expats:
http://expatsinitaly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=51679#p51679
zagnut

Return to Naturalization