Index search reference found

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Index search reference found

Postby Tanya » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Hello everyone

I am in the beginning stages of trying to obtain dual citizenship. I have my grandfather's birth certificate from Italy. I am now trying to find out if he ever applied for citizenship in the U.S. I contacted the USCIS via the internet, filled out the correct forms and finally received a reply through the mail. The letter indicates that "a reference was located that matches the information". It references my grandfather's name, date of birth, addresses and such. Does this mean that he did obtain his US citizenship and I therefore I cannot obtain dual citizenship through him? Or, do I need to now request copies of these records with the case number I was given? Will obtaining these records help me in anyway? This is where I am a little confused. I am sure this is posted somewhere on this site so I am sorry if this is a duplicate post. The naturalization part is somewhat confusing to me. Any input would be appreciated.
Tanya

Re: Index search reference found

Postby Tanya » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Okay, I answered my own question with regards to the above post. He was naturalized before his first son's birthday. Does this now mean that I cannot get dual citizenship?
Tanya

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:00 pm

I am unclear from your posts... Did your grandfather naturalize before or after the birth of your parent?
azsumrg1rl

Postby Tanya » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Hello and thank you for posting. There seems to be a naturalization record dated Nov 3, 1927 for my grandfather. My father's birthday (his son) was in 1935. Am I correct to say that I cannot claim dual citizenship through my grandfather on my fahter's side?

My original questions was in regards to a letter I received from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. I filled out a records search request and finally received an answer. In the letter it states that a reference to my grandfather was found, noting a Naturalization Court with the date of Nov 3, 1927. I am assuming that this is his naturalization records. I just requested copies of this document.

Thanks again for any help.
Tanya

Postby azsumrg1rl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:31 am

The naturalization process took several years and there are several documents that the records search could have found. Until you receive the document, you won't know for sure if Nov 3, 1927 was the date of his naturalization (the date he took the oath) or if it was the date he filed other paperwork announcing his intent to naturalize.

If your grandfather naturalized before your father's birth in 1935, you will not be able to claim citizenship through that side of the family. Is that your only Italian side or do you have the possibility of using your mother's side?
azsumrg1rl

Postby Tanya » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:22 am

Unfortunately, this is the only side. My mother claims to be Italian, but she is not. I will have to wait and see what the document is. I hope and pray that I am still able to get dual citizenship. Plan on visiting family in Italy next year. Thank you for your reply.
Tanya

Postby azsumrg1rl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:26 am

I should note that when you get your paperwork, all that matters is the date your ancestor took the oath. Don't worry about any of the other dates. Best of luck!
azsumrg1rl

Return to Naturalization