Professional Basketball Contract, Help Needed!!!!

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Professional Basketball Contract, Help Needed!!!!

Postby AROSSI24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:57 pm

very long story short...
I too am waiting for the letter from the USCIS which unfortunately could take up to a year :shock: I have the opportunity of a lifetime to play pro- basketball in Italy. My contract is valid only if I become an Italian citizen.

I have letters from the National Archives in the region(s) in which my ave lived stating that he never naturalized but the NYC consulate requests the letter from the government. The consulate is already helping me out so I definetely can't jip them on this paper....

So what is a girl to do? Is there anything I can do in the meantime?? I might lose my contract to play if I don't get this letter. If anyone has any ideas please let me know... appreciate it!
AROSSI24

Postby Em » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 pm

The NY Consulate accepts certified NARA documents to prove date of naturalization. I'm surprised they are unwilling to accept a certified statement that no such documents exist.

The problem may be that NARA serves only a defined locality, and the consulate may be concerned that although naturalization did not take place in one jurisdiction, it may have taken place in another.

Perhaps you can write to each of the NARA jurisdictions asking for a letter certifying that no such documents exist. It may cost a bit in stamps, but as you probably know, NARA responds quickly. You may be even able to get them to do this with a telephone request.

I wouldn't begin doing this, however, unless the consulate says they would accept it. Since they are trying to help you deal with this problem, they may be flexible and agree.

I wish I had more ideas, but that's the best I can do.

Good luck to you. This sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:25 pm

EM, I believe the consulate is concerned that NO naturalization took place in ALL buroughs of NY. However, I wonder if they are concerned that NO naturalization took place ANYWHERE in the US? Perhaps you know more about this than i do.

The process for obtaining these records seem to getting harder and harder. One year? two years? are that many people wanting citizenship? sheesh. I guess I received mine at the right time.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:31 pm

AROSSI24,

You said that you need the Italian citizenship for the contract to play, and that is understandable.

However, you also said that you need the "letter". This part is confusing to me, as the letter would not grant you citizenship, but will be just one of several necessary documents which you will need to provide to the consulate.

Did I misinterpret something? or is that the only document you are waiting for, but have all the others?
Anonymous

Postby AROSSI24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Angiolo-
All of the birth, marriage and death certificates have been legalized, apostilled, exemplified and everything in between. So yes, I have all of those documents.. But I need a letter from the government stating that my great grandfather never naturalized. Thanks for posting!

Em-
Its a good idea and it crossed my mind before. Unfortunately right after I graduated in May the coach contacted me, leaving me with a small amount of time. I will ask the consulate tommorow morning. Thanks for posting!
AROSSI24

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 pm

AROSSI24,

Ok, I thought maybe you had all the other documents.

NOW, when are you required to be in Italy? I ask this because when you do receive the letter to complete your application, it still takes time to process, and could take up to 2 years. Are you already guaranteed that once the letter is given to the consulate, that your citizenship will be immediately granted?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 pm

GabrielleAM, are you the same gabrielle, that has been posting?

AROSSI24, As Gabrielle asks, are you guaranteed to have your citizenship granted right away, once you receive your letter? Most of us have been waiting for a long time, and still haven`t received ours.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:03 pm

Angiolo, yes, I have been having problems signing in, and had to alter my user name. don`t know why. still having problems
Anonymous

Postby Em » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Angiolo wrote:EM, I believe the consulate is concerned that NO naturalization took place in ALL buroughs of NY. However, I wonder if they are concerned that NO naturalization took place ANYWHERE in the US? Perhaps you know more about this than i do.

No, I really don't know much about this at all. The only thing I'm sure of is that the NY consulate accepts NARA records to prove dates of naturalization. I was thinking that maybe a "letter of no record" would not be sufficient to prove that the ascendent didn't naturalize at all. He may never have naturalized in NY, for example, but what if he lived in California for a few years and naturalized there? Anyway, there's no harm in asking.
Em

Postby AROSSI24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:46 pm

to be honest with you all, i am not sure

(but i'm also sure there are exceptions to the rules and that sometimes they can push things thru faster for certain occassions... )
so im not sure but so far everything has been going in the right direction.
each pro team is sponsored by a pretty big organisation or business.. so that might help with the influence/movement of passports for athletes.

so if i do get it within the next fews weeks i do apologize in advance to the people who have been waiting for years...
AROSSI24

Postby AROSSI24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:47 pm

Oh, and i need to have my passport before september 20th in order for my contract to be valid
AROSSI24

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 pm

Yes, they can make exceptions if they want to. They hold all the cards, and under specific cicumstances they can push an application through.

I do not know about sports per say, but I do know they have made exceptions for those who want to join the military, and for those (from south america), who have been subjected to some sort of harsh conditions, and for those who seek political asylum.

Perhaps if you ask kindly, they will push it through. tell them it`s urgent, and time is of the essense, because of the necessity of a contract.

I was wondering if it was possible for someone (in charge of the basketball team) to write a letter on your behalf, asking them to expedite your application. One from Italy would even be better. The letter telling you that your citizenship is necessary for a contract may also be sufficient.

Who knows. Go for it!
Anonymous

Postby AROSSI24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:46 pm

exactlyyy.. who knows?!
the consulate is cool with everything they just want the 'certificate of nonexistence' letter

sigh... which could take a year to process
i have the phone number for a supervisor, im going give a call tommorow morning
AROSSI24

Postby Em » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:11 am

Yes, I think they expedited the processing of Mike Piazza's application so he could play on Italy's team at the beginning of the baseball season.

No need to apologize about it; that's the way it works.
Em

Postby manning626 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Can someone please tell me what NARA is, and how they are different from Lees Summit MO?

Thank You.
manning626

Next

Return to Naturalization