USCIS Will Not Certify

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

USCIS Will Not Certify

Postby lje2 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 am

Hello to everyone. This site is terrific. I have a problem that maybe someone can help me with. My grandfather became a US citizen in Spokane, Washington in 1938 and I'm unable to obtain a "Certified True Copy" of his Naturalization Certificate from the USCIS. I started my search with the US District Court in Spokane where he was naturalized and they told me they sent all their records to the NARA Regional Office in Seattle in the 1970's. I then contacted the NARA's Regional Office in Seattle and they told me they sent all their copies of the Naturalization Certificates prior to 1960 to the USCIS in Washington, DC. However, they said they could provide me a "red ribbon" certification of his citizenship application which I received and had certified by the US Department of State. Good so far. So I then contacted the USCIS in Washington DC, and have since received a "Non Certified"...Informational Copy of my grandfather's Naturalization Certificate. However, the USCIS said they will not provide a "Certified True Copy" of his Naturalization Certificate because they were not the issuing agents. I'm in a quandary as to what to do next. My appointment with the Italian Consul General's office in San Francisco is November 4, 2011. How can I receive a Certified True Copy of his Naturalization Certificate, and if not, will the Italian Consul General accept what I have so far? Thanks in advance, Jim.
lje2

Re: USCIS Will Not Certify

Postby CPA21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:27 am

Do not worry. The Italian Consulate in SF is familiar with the current practice.
CPA21

Re: USCIS Will Not Certify

Postby lje2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. I now have all the documents necessary. I was getting the run-around with the three federal agencies. You would think that since they provided me with a red-ribbon certification of his application, that they would have been able to do the same with his Naturalization Certificate. Oh well. I guess that's just the way they do things at the USCIS.
lje2

Return to Naturalization