Preparing My Documents- Need Help/Assistance

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Preparing My Documents- Need Help/Assistance

Postby jpc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
First of all I want to say this forum is GREAT and really a wonderful reference. I am preparing for my appointmant, and really want to be sure I have all of my documents in order so as to avoid any issues once I finally sit down for my long awaited meeting.

Here are a few general details:
I am applying via the SF Consolate
My lineage is "Case #5" on the official form; and going via my Maternal Great Grandfather. (I can also do via my second maternal Great Grandfather- mother's, mothers, father- but some sites say I can't?)
My appointment is mid May

Here are the Documents on hand:
My birth certificate (no wives/children)
My parents birth and wedding certificates
My grandparents birth certificates*
My grandparents death certificates
My grandparents wedding certificate**
My Great-Grandparents birth certificates
My great-grandparents wedding certificate
My great grandparents death certificates

My questions:
* from above: My grandfather was never registered with the county when born, although I do have his baptismal certificate from the church. Will this work?
** from above: I have a wedding certificate from the church, but not the city. Will this suffice?

I am now tackling what I believe to be the last missing piece- my great-grandfathers naturalization docs. Up until last night we didn't think he was ever naturalized, but I registered at and was surprised to see he was listed as an alien in the 1910 census, First Papers in the 1920 Census, and a Naturalized in the 1930 Census. I also found a draft card from 1918 saying he wasn't a naturalized. The good news is that my grandfather was born in 1911 and I should still qualify, but I still need to obtain the documents. SO, I am about to start the form process with USCIS and the Archives simultaneously as time is running out and I can't leave anything to chance. For the USCIS, what exact form do I use to find out if he was naturalized? I need all the related materials to fulfill this clause:

1.Visit the website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly the INS) at to request a certificate of naturalization. Download, print, fill out and mail document g-639 (Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act Request). Read pages two and three for detailed instructions. This statement must show your ancestor's full name (and any other names used on official documents), place of birth, date of birth, date of naturalization and certificate number; if a legal alien, the statement must show the permanent resident card number. You may also need to request a statement from the county in which your ancestor resided.

I saw mentiones of the forms G639, G 1041 and G 1041A; but I'm not sure which to use?

Lastly, what will I need an apostille for?

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Return to Naturalization

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests