Finding Documents in Italy

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Finding Documents in Italy

Postby schiga » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07 pm

Hello: I am planning to move to Italy in 2013. My father (born in 1921) and his parents were born in Italy but my father came here in 1935 and was naturalized. However, my paternal grandparents never came to the U.S. but the only information I have on them is there names and what town they were born and died but no dates. I don't know how to obtain any records of them to bring to the consulate in Chicago to try and obtain dual citizenship. I tried writing to the town but never got an answer. I had heard that the records may have been destroyed in World War I.

Is there anything I can do to prove that I did have Italian grandparents who never came here to the U.S.?

I don't know where to write to obtain records if they are even available.

Thank you,

Geri Schiavino
Gaschiavino@rkmc.com
schiga

Re: Finding Documents in Italy

Postby JRomaine » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 pm

If your father (at age of 14 in 1935) was naturnalized, then his childern would have been born as US citizens after naturnalization, so you don't qualify for "rite by blood." I am learning here too....but in order to qualify, his naturalization would have had to occur after having children so as not to change the eligibiltiy of future generations.
JRomaine

Re: Finding Documents in Italy

Postby CPA21 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:19 pm

How did your father come to the US without his parents when he was 14 years old? How did your father naturalize? Did your father naturalize?
CPA21

Return to Naturalization