The Mystery of the "Court Order"

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

The Mystery of the "Court Order"

Postby djdepalma » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:43 pm

As a result of discrepancies in my grandfather's naturalization documents (Oath, Declaration, Petition, Certificate), I had my mother sign a letter and affidavit (notarized) attesting to the correct information related to these errors. I had heard about this approach in a 2010 post here in which the author wrote that he had tried to get a court order without success, then tried his own affidavit. His attempt proved effective and the NYC Consulate accepted his affidavit.

In my own fourth visit to the same office in February 2012, I was told that my affidavit would not be accepted, and that I need a Court Order. Since that appointment, I have contacted several courts here in CT, and had my attorney also check with judges and other officials he knows. Everyone states they have no jurisdiction to attest to the veracity of identities (i.e., birthrates, birthplaces, names) of the people (my grandfather, grandmother, and mother) involved.

I wrote the NYC Consulate and they responded with this email:

In case of discrepancies in the documentation, we require all applicants to
either amend the incorrect certificates or provide a Court Order.
In particular, we need to verify that the Italian ancestor and the person
indicated in the documentation are one and the same.
Unfortunately, it is not for this Office to say whose competence is to issue
such Court Order.
Sincerely,

Citizenship Office

As a result, I have no fresh ideas about where to look. If anyone has experience with this "Court Order" requirement, I would greatly appreciate a specific response.

Thanks for your attention.

Dave
djdepalma

Return to Naturalization