USCIS Request and Certification

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Postby capitul » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:44 pm

If all most consulates need is a PHOTO copy, what's to stop somebody from forging it? Especially without the apostille and etc. What is the process involved once the consulate receives the naturalization information?
capitul

Postby capitul » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:49 pm

Also, one other thing. I was informed that I should look at the NARA archives in NY for my great grandfather's documents. The woman with nara said I can make a request through that office via fax, mail, e-mail, however, so long as they had the money and a written request. If he didn't naturalize and there aren't any records of it, would I then have to send to MO? Or, can I just get a letter from them stating there is no record of naturalization being that they have the federal holdings?

edit: also - if they send me copies of every naturalization document they have, that SHOULD be sufficient for the consulate? provided all the documents needed are there, a mere photo copy would be okay? (i'm going through Miami). Yes, its redundant but I want to be sure. Thank you.
capitul

Postby Em » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:43 am

Capitul, the certified NARA documents are sufficient evidence of date of naturalization for NY. You will have to check if the same holds true for Miami.

Be sure to request that they certify the documents or you will simply receive a photocopy. The ones I received from NARA (and they were deemed sufficient in NY) were photocopies with an official certification note attached with a red ribbon--rather neat I thought. They will send you the Petition, the Declaration of Intent and the Oath of Allegience. It is the Oath that is particularly important because that includes the naturalization date.

If your ancestor did not naturalize, a statement from NARA would NOT be sufficient. After all, I could ask the regional office in SF to send me my grandfather's papers, and they wouldn't have them because my grandfather was naturalized in NY. You would be forced, then, to go through MO. It is my understanding that this is the only certification of non-naturalization that is acceptable.
Em

Postby capitul » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:50 am

Em, thank you for the very clear and concise response. I appreciate it. Thank you.
capitul

Postby nicedream » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:04 pm

Angiolo wrote:Ok, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami DO NOT require a certified copy of a naturalization record. Most others do not also, so I am sorry to hear that you have an exception to the rule consulate. I know this for FACT, as i have helped numerous people acquire their records.

A simple COPY of a naturalization record is all that is need, and it doesn`t even have to be that legible.

Sorry to bump this up to the top, but I would like clarification on this.

I received photocopies of my g-grandfather's naturalization papers in June. At the time I didn't know you had to contact the "Records Services Branch" for the official certified copy. I sent that request in June, and I haven't heard anything.

I was just browsing this board before getting ready to write a follow up letter to the Records Services Branch, and saw your post. Are you saying that for the above mentioned consulates, that my photocopy of the Naturalization Certificate will suffice? Or am I interpreting you wrong? ( I am going through the Philadelphia consulate, btw).
nicedream

Postby Em » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:59 am

Naturalization papers do not require an apostille, but they should be stamped when the copy is issued.

If you have the naturalization information, you can easily contact your regional NARA office, which will then provide you with certified copies of the Petition, Declaration of Intent, and Oath of Allegiance. They work quickly. If you go to their offices in person, you can get this within an hour; by mail, a week or two. Be sure to request certified copies, which are accepted by most consulates in lieu of a Certificate of Naturalization. Since you will have both, I don't think you'll have a problem.

http://www.archives.gov/
Em

Postby nicedream » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply, Em.

So just to get this straight....if I went to my local archives with my great grandfathers photocopied naturalization certificate, they could provide me with a certified copy that day?

If so, then that is great news! However, I'm confused as to why everyone has been mailing off requests to the DHS Records Services Branch for the same thing?
nicedream

Postby Giuseppe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi,

Most requests going to the Record Services Branch are for certified letters of “No Record Found,” for people who didn’t get naturalized. However, some consulates require a certified copy of the naturalization certificate for people who did get naturalized. It seems to differ based on the consulate. I would assume that it must be based on past cases of fraud experienced by the individual consulate, with people trying to doctor the dates on documents, etc… E.g.…the posting above by capitul, “If all most consulates need is a PHOTO copy, what's to stop somebody from forging it?”

It’s very sad how one or two people can screw up everything for people trying to do things the right way. But, I guess that’s where karma comes in! Good luck with the process.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby Em » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 pm

You don't even need the naturalization certificate--only the number and the date. They'll look it up for you, make a copy, and then attach it with a red ribbon to the certification letter. Really neat, and VERY fast.

Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it. I believe the Philadelphia consulate does accept these documents in lieu of a certificate. The New York office only needed this; they didn't even ask for the certificate.
Em

Postby nicedream » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:48 am

Giuseppe & Em:

This is all great news to me, as the naturalization certificate was the only thing holding me back....and I was getting a little anxious since I sent the request to DHS in June and heard nothing yet.

I am going to take a day off of work in the next week or 2, and head to Philadelphia. Thanks again! 8)
nicedream

Postby nicedream » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 pm

I just called the archives in Philadelphia, and they alerted me to the fact that you can go to archives.gov and order certified copies of the naturalization records there...$16 total, and you'll have it within 10 days. 8)

The previous posts were correct though, you will get all the documents *except* the naturalization certificate. The woman on the phone said the only place you can get those is from Washington DC. Hopefully the Philadelphia consulate will take just the certified petition...my fingers are crossed
nicedream

Previous

Return to Naturalization