???

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

???

Postby Joe Diorio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:41 am

If the USCIS sends you a letter of Non existance, do you have to do anything to that record before giving it to the consulate or does it need to be certified? and if so, how do you go about doing so?
Joe Diorio

Postby Giuseppe » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:27 am

Joe,

As far as I know, you need to send the letter of non-existence that you received to the USCIS Record Services Branch with a request for certification. The process takes approximately three to twelve months.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby Giuseppe » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 am

The address is:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services
4th Floor, Records Services Branch
111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20529
Giuseppe

USCIS and Certification

Postby mfk » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:39 am

Joe, check out the "USCIS Request and Certification" thread running on this forum. There is actually a debate as to whether this document needs to be certified; the conclusion seems to be "Check with your Consulate." Easier said than done, I know.

Your profile says you're in Philly; if you're applying there, I can tell you my citizenship has been recognized through that Consulate, and I didn't need this document certified.

Best of luck
mfk :D
mfk

Postby Joe Diorio » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:05 pm

so you have already apllied through the Philadelphia consulate? and you didnt need your record certified. that is excellent. how was your experience with Philadelphia? I went there last month and they seemed friendly. however they didnt seem to answer some of my questions directly. Thanks,
Joe
Joe Diorio

Philly Consulate

Postby mfk » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Joe, I applied in April 2004. It was finally, finally finished less than a month ago.

At first I found them very helpful and accessible in Philly. I originally sent a letter simply stating my line of descent, and someone actually called me--when all I wanted were some forms, which they then sent.

When I went to file, the woman was very nice, went through everything methodically. There were some issues, but she told me exactly what to fax her; I didn't even have to go back in person.

They gave me our file numbers and that was pretty much the last meaningful contact I had with them. They sent my dad a letter in December 2004 that they approved the application and were sending the file to Italy, so actually their part didn't take very long at all--8 months.

The issue was, though, that when I followed up with the comune in Italy, they told me that they had only received my dad's records, nothing of mine...so in trying to find out where my stuff was, if they could please send it (it was just my birth certificate!) I tried to call over and over, but I'm sure you know how that works. I sent emails, letters, faxes, nothing. Long story short, a year after my dad's was finished, they finally sent my stuff to Italy. So this part of my experience with Philly really frustrated me.

Needless to say, when I did finally get to speak to someone in the office, she told me she'd have to check their archives, and that I'd have to call back! Yeah right, as if I'd get through! Finally, though, I did...and the girl I spoke to wasn't working there anymore, so we went through the whole thing again. Finally, this June, I found out from the comune that my records were here in Italy, to be registered shortly. That took the comune 3 months.

Anyway, now I'm done, and I can tell you to just hang in there. Just do what they ask and everything will be fine, and so worth it when you're officially an Italian citizen :D
mfk

Postby Joe Diorio » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:26 am

Thats awesome, I'm happy for you. have you been to italy since your italian citizenship came through?
Joe Diorio

Living in Italy

Postby mfk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:22 am

You could say that.

Actually, Joe, I've been living in Italy for 3 years now with no real intent of moving back to the U.S. I've built a life here with my fiance, doggie, house, etc.; now I'm going through more Italian bureaucracy to get everything settled as a citizen, but the end is in sight...finally!

Hang in there! :D
mfk

Return to Naturalization