FIOA no Death Certificate Naturalization Records

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

FIOA no Death Certificate Naturalization Records

Postby DASchwartz4 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:38 pm

I'm sorry to be posting this, as I know there are many other threads, but I'm quite confused. My great-grandfather was born in 1903. Most people in my family seem to hold on to the notion that he was never naturalized as a US citizen. Do I just mail the FOIA papers to the place in MO? Whatever I receive from them, is that good enough to give to the consulate, the letter of no record or whatever?

However, I dont know if they will give me the naturalization records. He left my family in the 40's or 50's and no one heard from him until word got around that he died in 1960. This is the only information I have from anyone, that he died in 1960. Because of this, I have no death certificate. Can I have my grandpa (his son) write a letter telling the FOIA place that he died in 1960 or will this not suffice?

Does anyone know how I could go about finding his death certificate with nothing but his year of death and full name?

Thanks,
David
DASchwartz4

Postby Em » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 pm

Best to do a genealogical search. You may want to try ancestry.com, and although this is a paid service, you can try it for two weeks without charge. They have much information that may be valuable to you.
Em

Re: FIOA no Death Certificate Naturalization Records

Postby Tiffany » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:00 pm

DASchwartz4 wrote:I'm sorry to be posting this, as I know there are many other threads, but I'm quite confused. My great-grandfather was born in 1903. Most people in my family seem to hold on to the notion that he was never naturalized as a US citizen. Do I just mail the FOIA papers to the place in MO? Whatever I receive from them, is that good enough to give to the consulate, the letter of no record or whatever?

However, I dont know if they will give me the naturalization records. He left my family in the 40's or 50's and no one heard from him until word got around that he died in 1960. This is the only information I have from anyone, that he died in 1960. Because of this, I have no death certificate. Can I have my grandpa (his son) write a letter telling the FOIA place that he died in 1960 or will this not suffice?

Does anyone know how I could go about finding his death certificate with nothing but his year of death and full name?

Thanks,
David

FOIA does require proof of death, so your best bet may be to go the route Em suggested. On the topic of the death certificate, is there no way you could obtain one? Or at least some proof of death?
Tiffany

Return to Naturalization