Questions about NARA records

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Questions about NARA records

Postby Miserendino » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi,

I just received my pack of goodies from NARA-NY. I just need some clarification that I have enough/what I need:

Stamped copy of the Declaration of Intention
Stamped copy of the Petition for Naturalization
Stamped copy of the Oath of Allegiance
A 'certified copy' statement signed and sealed.

That is what they sent me. I have a photocopy of his actual Certificate of Naturalization. Can I add that to the others? If not, how do I get a proper copy of that (cause I assumed that's what I'd be getting from NARA)?

Also, there are some name discrepancies. His daughter/my grandmother is listed as Vinice, but we always knew her as Vera, in fact I'm sure her death certificate and my Mom's birth both say Vera not Vinice. Are first names as important?

They've also typed his name as Miserentino, even though his signature clearly shows Miserendino. Will they accept this?
Miserendino

Postby Em » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 pm

The NARA documents you received, especially if accompanied by a copy of the certificate, should be accepted as proof of naturalization date. As far as the name discrepancies are concerned--there is no definitive answer. It depends on the consulate (actually the person you see at the consulate) and just how detail oriented he happens to be. You will sometimes even get two different answers from the same person, depending on his mood. :? This actually happened to me with my dad's first name.

So your best bet is to visit the consulate to determine if any amendments will be required.
Em

Return to Naturalization