Being naturalised as an Italian citizen

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Being naturalised as an Italian citizen

Postby jpp888 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:09 am

I have applied to the Chicago consulate for recognition of Italian citizenship through my grandfather. I am trying to be positive, but from what I read here it sounds as if the wait is more than the 2 years they claim.

I know there is also a way for decendants to become naturalised as a citizen:

After 10 years of legal residence, absence of criminal record, and sufficient financial resources, a foreigner may naturalise (three years for former Italian citizens up to the second degree and for aliens born on Italian territory, four years for nationals of EU member states, five years for refugees or stateless and seven years for those "affiliated with an Italian citizen."

Has anyone got any experience with this or personally know someone who has claimed it in this way after 3 years?

I know there is a visa you can get to allow you to legally reside in Italy whist you are waiting on your application. I am thinking it may be quicker (and much better since I prefer to spend the 3 years waiting in Italy rather than where I am now) to just move there with the proper visa and if after 3 years my application has still not been processed, just apply to be naturalised.

Any experience or thoughts?
jpp888

Postby Giuseppe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Actually you can apply in Italy for recognition of citizenship without the need to apply for naturalization. Have a look here (in English) from the comune of Torino.

http://www.comune.torino.it/en/papers/i ... ship.shtml

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby jpp888 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:13 am

This is what the site says:

For descendents of Italian citizens the reference office is the Department of Citizenship at the registrar’s office at no. 23 via della Consolata 23.
In this case you must be in possession of:

residency permit [permesso di soggiorno] (even for short stays)
documentation certifying Italian descent, translated and legally authorised by the Italian consular authorities abroad
declaration that the Italian relative has not renounced Italian citizenship
After presenting this documentation the applicant will obtain residency and with this, a temporary residency permit awaiting citizenship.
This sort of letter of intent is valid for the Turin Police Headquarters on the basis of specific agreements.
If the applicant does not have a residency permit, recognition must be requested from the Italian consular authorities in the country of origin.

These seem to be pretty easy requirements. I remember reading on blogs, other sites, other communes, etc. that they required much more paperwork (i.e. proof of no criminal record, tax statements, etc.)

However, the fact still remains that I have to have a permesso di soggiorno in order to apply in Italy. First I would have to apply for this, and assuming it is granted, I would then be able to move to Italy and apply there. Is this correct? what about the status for working? Would I be allowed to work, or only to stay in the country as a resident? Can you get a permesso di soggiorno only by proving you are of Italian decent? I have already turned my papers into Chicago, so can I apply for citizenship with 2 seperate consulates?

My situation is this: i live and work in the UK. I hate it here. I am literally stuck here because I cannot find a job in Europe without a work permit. My only other option is to go back to the US, which in my opinion is not an option at all. So I am looking for almost any way to be able to leave this place for good and make the immigration to Europe. If I have to wait here for 2 or 3 years on an Italian passport I will go mad. I am searching for any way out and thought that I may be able to get a visa (i.e. permesso die soggiorno) to live in Italy whilst I wait.

Thanks for the help
jpp888

Postby jcallori » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:17 am

What do you hate about the U.K.? Where do you live?
jcallori

Postby jpp888 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:11 am

Coventry, which is a dodgy city. I lived earlier in Bristol though and it is a nice place, is still not somewhere I would stay.

I hate the whole mentality and way of life here. It is the whole Anglo Sachsen culture. Although Britain belongs to Europe geographically, it certainly does not culturally. It is more like living in the US or Canada here than it is like living in Belgium or Portugal. It just doesnt fit me.
jpp888

Postby Giuseppe » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:01 am

Actually you can get the residency permit [permesso di soggiorno] in Italy as a tourist. You need to show up and request it prior to your eighth day in the country. Once you receive the permesso di soggiorno, you submit your request for recognition of Italian citizenship to the comune. No need for a criminal record check as you are not applying for naturalization. If you meet the criteria, you have been an Italian citizen since birth. You are simply applying for formal recognition. You will, however, need to show proof of health insurance (which can be purchased in Italy) and enough savings to support yourself during the process. Some comunes allow you to work during the process; however, others do not.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Re: Being naturalised as an Italian citizen

Postby Marco » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 am

jpp888 wrote:I know there is a visa you can get to allow you to legally reside in Italy whist you are waiting on your application. I am thinking it may be quicker (and much better since I prefer to spend the 3 years waiting in Italy rather than where I am now) to just move there with the proper visa and if after 3 years my application has still not been processed, just apply to be naturalised.

You may have to wait a bit longer than three years. A friend of mine in Italy married a foreigner who applied for citizenship six months afterwards, as soon as she became eligible for naturalisation. Last time I checked (about two and a half years after her application had been filed) she was still waiting. By contrast, here in the UK applications for naturalisation are usually processed within a few weeks. You may find it easier to stay in the UK a few more years and apply for naturalisation.
Marco

Return to Naturalization