How to obtain a document

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

How to obtain a document

Postby GALILEO1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Hello everyone.

This is my first ever post here. I am so glad I found this site since I'm having a bit of a problem understanding how to go about getting a document from Italy so I can begin my citizenship papers.

I need to obtain my greatgranfather's birth certificate. He was born in Torino in 1890. The thing is, I have no idea how to proceed in order to be able to petition the documents from Italy. I have all other related documents on hand but this is the only one (and most important one) document I need to finally be able to apply for citizenship.

Any help on this will be appreciated,

Rob
GALILEO1

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi Rob,

Assuming you know his date of birth, parent’s names, etc…and if you speak Italian, you can write directly to the comune and request a copy of his record of birth (estratto di nascita), and if he was married in Italy, you should also request a copy of his marriage certificate (estratto di matrimonio).

If you are unable to write in Italian, you might consider using one of the commercial services such as ICGS. However, it will be much less expensive to do it yourself.

Here’s the address of the commune:

Comune di Torino
Piazza Palazzo di Città, 1
10122 Torino, Italia

And, web page:
http://www.comune.torino.it/

Good luck with the process.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Also… address your request to the: Ufficio di Stato Civile

Comune di Torino
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Palazzo di Città, 1
10122 Torino, Italia
Giuseppe

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Sorry…I gave you the wrong address. The correct address is:

Comune di Torino
Uffici di Stato Civile
Via della Consolata 23
10122 Torino, Italia
Telephone: 011.4425335/023
Giuseppe

Postby capitul » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:21 pm

and if you dont speak italian:

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

You can get your point accross with that.
capitul

Postby CJC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:27 pm

You and I are working through the same region of Italy. I'm working with a smaller commune just outside of Tornio called Borgofranco d'Ivrea.

I recommend finding this document and your Great-Grandfathers death certificate FIRST. You'll need the death certificate when you put in your FOIA (freedom of information act) request for naturalization documents in the US. It takes a year or so to get that document (FOIA - naturalization) back. While you're waiting on that to come back you can gather all your other documents and work on any changes needed there.

I'm working from my Italian ancestor on up to myself so that I know where the discrepancies in names, dates, etc. come up as I make my way to my own birth certificate, etc.

I studied much of what I've seen here and still occasionally have a question for the group. So read what you can in the message boards as it clears-up a TON of questions. The knowledge gained from the experience of the successful applicants found in this forum is priceless.

Good Luck! Keep us all posted on your progress.
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Return to Documents