name discrepancy

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

name discrepancy

Postby liquidbugg » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34 pm

i started the process of collecting documents last spring. everything went very smoothly. i thought i had everything together so i walked into the consulate in boston only to find out i was only "halfway" there. while i had obtained naturalization documents from the national archives, i didn't have the actual "certificate" of naturalization - only the signed oath and petition. now i'm mailing in the g639 form in hopes that'll get it done.

the other problem (aka dead end), which i didn't think would be a problem - my grandfather was born as guerino and died as edward. he married as guerino. he had my father's birth certificate say "edward" though. the embassy really just wants his birth or death certificate to say "aka..." but after talking with a local city hall, boston city hall, and the funeral home (though he died 10 years ago), i've learned today that this cannot be done. i am so upset thinking about how this will forever affect my family tree. my grandmother offered to petition for a legal name change on his behalf, but the authorities say that won't matter. i feel like my hands are tied. yet, it seems to pretty well known that guerino translated to edward. i'm totally at a loss for the next step and fear that there isn't even one... and it wasn't a case of "just one person" because i was transferred to 3 different people at city hall and they even transferred me to dept of state because i was sure there was something that can be done.

anyone go through anything similar?
liquidbugg

Postby Giuseppe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm

I experienced something similar to this with my mother’s death certificate. You should be able to file for an amendment of her death certificate with the state office of vital records. All you should have to do is provide them with a copy of the birth certificate indicating the proper name, and it should be no problem. Here’s a link to the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics in Dorchester:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2termi ... id=Eeohhs2

Good luck.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby liquidbugg » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 pm

the funeral home just called back and suggested this same thing. i only wish boston city hall was a little more helpful this afternoon! thank you so much for posting this link. i have hope again! :)
liquidbugg

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:20 am

I’ve actually heard quite a few stories about Boston being less than helpful, so you are definitely not alone. From what I understand, people have had very good results with the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics office in Dorchester.

Best,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Return to Documents