Mom's citizenship

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Mom's citizenship

Postby arg1 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi all,
I think I've already asked this question before, but as my appointment with the SF consulate draws nearer, I'm afraid I'm getting a little paranoid :) . I'm applying for dual citizenship through my maternal grandmother. I've heard that once my application is processed and approved (keeping my fingers crossed) that my mom as the 'connecting' relative would automatically get Italian citizenship also. Is this correct? As I've been preparing my application I've been going off this assumption and have only gotten documents for my application. Do I need to get another copy of everything for her application? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marisa
arg1

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Wed May 09, 2007 4:23 am

Your mother will automatically become *eligible* for citizenship (since proving your citizenship effectively involves proving hers first), but she will not *attain* citizenship unless she specifically requests it by filing her own application. If she is interested, she can apply at the same time you do (actually, in this case, she would be applying and you would be piggybacking, rather than the other way around).

On the otherhand, I believe you will need a "Declaration of Living Ascendant" completed, signed by her, and notarized. Visit this page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/ and click the "form3" link several paragraphs down from the top.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby Mentor » Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

Absolutely correct. The living ascendant does not have to also apply for citizenship but his/her descendant cannot get anywhere without the living ascendant's cooperation. The living ascendant has the right to allow or deny Italian citizenship to be passed down to the next generation.
Mentor

Postby arg1 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for the clarification. A couple of things: would she only need to fill out a separate application? Could we 'share' the one set of documents that I've got or would we need another set of those too?
Sorry for all the questions.

Marisa
arg1

Postby flproject13 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm

I am pretty sure if you apply together at the same time you can share the set of documents. She would only have to fill out a separate citizenship application.
flproject13

Return to Documents