comune fees

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

comune fees

Postby arg1 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi,
I'm planning on writing to the comune of my grandmother and asking for her birth certificate. I was wondering though how much money to enclose to cover document fees. I checked the comune website (it's Capannori) and there doesn't seem to be fees listed for that service. I've heard others say that they enclosed varying amounts, so I was wondering what the folks maybe who have gone directly through the comune have done.
Thanks,

Marisa
arg1

Postby sxp215 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:48 pm

I included an International Reply Coupon to cover postage (these are a few dollars and available at the post office). In the letter, I included my phone number and email and asked them to advise me of any charges. They simply sent the documents and did not ask for any payment. It was a fairly simple process.
sxp215

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Thu May 10, 2007 4:03 pm

sxp215 wrote:I included an International Reply Coupon to cover postage (these are a few dollars and available at the post office). In the letter, I included my phone number and email and asked them to advise me of any charges. They simply sent the documents and did not ask for any payment. It was a fairly simple process.

How long did it take? I mailed a request on April 2nd; no response yet as of May 10th.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby sxp215 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Both times I wrote (first for birth, then for marriage certificates) it took about 6 weeks. I think you are still fine. Mail to and from Italy (and anywhere in Europe) is slow.
sxp215

Postby Mentor » Fri May 11, 2007 4:45 am

.....Both times I wrote (first for birth, then for marriage certificates) it took about 6 weeks. I think you are still fine. Mail to and from Italy (and anywhere in Europe) is slow.....

This is a big misconception that Americans have of Italy and Europe. I mail letters to the USA from Italy and they always arrive within five working days. I have never had a problem.
Mentor

Postby JimC » Fri May 11, 2007 4:13 pm

sxp215 wrote:I included an International Reply Coupon to cover postage (these are a few dollars and available at the post office). In the letter, I included my phone number and email and asked them to advise me of any charges. They simply sent the documents and did not ask for any payment. It was a fairly simple process.

I was told by my local Postmaster that the current International Reply Coupons would no longer be honored after May 14th. I guess it has something to do with the rate increases - or maybe the USPS is doing away with them entirely.

I was actually considering putting a couple of euros in with the request. Another possibillity is to have my sister pick up a few dollars worth of Italian stamps when she goes over next week. I'll stick those in with the request.
JimC

Postby Tiffany » Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 am

Mentor wrote:.....Both times I wrote (first for birth, then for marriage certificates) it took about 6 weeks. I think you are still fine. Mail to and from Italy (and anywhere in Europe) is slow.....

This is a big misconception that Americans have of Italy and Europe. I mail letters to the USA from Italy and they always arrive within five working days. I have never had a problem.

I'd agree with letters and for me, for the most part, most mail seems to arrive promptly, but I've had pieces get inexplicably lost - especially when mailing something bigger than a padded envelope.
Tiffany

Postby ejd » Sun May 13, 2007 9:28 am

The fees charged by the comuni for documents vary, and if I recall correctly, some don't charge anything.

What I did was send a letter outlining my request and included my e-mail address. I asked to be notified of what the fees would be, if any. I was notified via e-mail of how much the fee was and was told they would send the document upon receipt of the fee.

I was also told that I could submit the fee in US dollars. In one instance, I wasn't sure of the exchange rate, so I submitted a bit extra, and they returned the difference with my document.
ejd

Postby arg1 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks everyone. Yesterday I mailed my request. When I found out that the post office isn't selling International Reply Coupons anymore, I just included email and other contact info., so I guess if I owe them anyting they'll let me know.

Marisa
arg1

Postby Jack » Sun May 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Wow, I would really like to do something along that line, but don’t speak nearly enough Italian to write an understandable letter. If someone could let me use a copy of the letter they sent with specifics omitted, I would really appreciate it.
Jack

Postby sxp215 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:35 pm

This site has a letter builder. The book "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage" also has a sample letter.

http://www.italylink.com/vitalrecords/vitalrecords.cgi
sxp215

Return to Documents