Document Errors

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Document Errors

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:20 am

I am applying for citizenship through my great grandfather (dad's dad's dad) Does anyone know if ALL discrepencies below need to be fixed? I read that someone had to pay $3K in lawyer fees just to fix one name mistake. Here are my document errors -

MISTAKE 1 - It looks like my Great Grandmother isn't the same lady my Great Grandfather married in Italy!! But I know it's her!

Great-Grandmother Name Change in all American Documents - Death, Son's Birth, Husband's Birth VS Correct Name in Italian Docs - Birth, and Marriage

Great-Grandmother's Incorrect Birth Date on Great-Grandfather's death certificate

Great-Great-Grandfather's Name incorrect on Great-Grandmother's Death Certificate

MISTAKE 2 - Were people working in the clerks office completely incompetent even after typewriters were invented?!?

Grandfather and Grandmother's birthdates incorrect on their Marriage Certificate One is a Feb 29 in a year where there was no Feb 29 (not a leap year)!!!

Grandfather's Middle name slightly different on Father's Birth Certificate

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm thinking about quitting my job in NYC and moving to Italy and trying to get citizenship there. Just want to know if I should throw these docs away and work illegally washing dishes, or if I can find a legit job and live happily ever after with my italian girlfriend!! I'm so tired of this long distance relationship!

Thanks!
FrustratedInNYC.
FrustratedInNYC

Postby Em » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:04 am

The problem, I think, was twofold. The workers were careless, and our ancestors didn't care enough (or didn't understand enough) to correct those obvious errors.

Regarding the discrepancies--you may find that the problems will not cause too much difficulty, particularly those that do not relate to the direct line. Remember, that you are applying through your paternal line, so your grandmother's and greatgrandmother's documents are not really significant to your eligibility.

The errors on your grandfather's papers seem minor.

BTW, if you and your Italian girlfriend plan to be married, you can remain in Italy as her husband. After two years, you can apply for citizenship through marriage.

Things will work out. I doubt you'll need to wash dishes. :D
Em

Thanks for your response

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:49 pm

That makes me feel a little better...I know that my direct line is fine, except my Grandfather's Birthdate on his Marriage certificate and his middle name sometimes having an "o" at the end and sometimes not.

The thing is, I need to be fairly certain that I can get the citizenship because I will be quitting my high paying job here and leaving my rent controlled apartment in Manhattan.

I want to know now, so that I can break up with my girlfriend because I don't want to keep telling her I'll be back to Italy. We're in love, but not ready to get married. She's coming next month to meet my family.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?! I'm so depressed and living on Park avenue for $540 a month!!!!! We talk on the phone 3 times a day!

Now I got all these useless docs that I spent 6 months trying to get!! I am going crazy here.
FrustratedInNYC

At work

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:00 pm

I'm on the phone all day talking Italian and my coworkers are like, "what's going on with you?" I told them about her but they don't get it. NYC is full of girls, but I was so happy in Italy with her.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I have an appointment with the Italian Consulate for Feb 21, 2008 !! That's like 9 months away. That's why I'm thinking about just quitting my job and moving there. But I just came back from Italy and found this job and apartment.

Are these errors going to prevent me from getting the citizenship? How do I get them fixed? I will call the clerks where I got them in the next couple of days, maybe it will be an easy fix...but I doubt it.
FrustratedInNYC

Girlfriend

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:01 pm

I told my girlfriend to move here but she doesn't speak english. I told her she could find a job, but don't know if that's true. I said I could pay all her expenses and she could live on Park avenue, but said she didn't want to.
FrustratedInNYC

Postby Em » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I wish I could give you guarantees, but unfortunately, all I can do is say that I doubt your minor discrepancies will be major issues. Of all the documents that you need, the most significant are:

your greatgrandfather's birth certificate
his naturalization papers (or proof of no naturalization)

your grandfather's birth certificate

your father's birth certificate

your birth certificate

statements that no one in the line renounced citizenship

Now, obviously, you also need to submit marriage and death certificates, but the other documents only solidify your primary documentation. Your greatgrandmother's information, though requested, is not an issue as far as your eligibility is concerned.

Thus, I am quite confident that things will work out.

That being said, there are other issues you might consider. Even after you submit your documentation, you will likely have a two-year wait before your citizenship is acknowledged. So your wait is not actually nine months; it is more like 2 1/2 years. You need to be prepared for this.

You are also considering giving up a high-paying job and a great apartment for "love." Hey, I'm not against love, but you need to be logical as well. High-paying jobs and rent controlled apartments are rare, and your lifestyle will change considerably in Italy. For one thing, jobs are difficult to get even for Italian citizens, and the pay is considerably lower than they are here. I know "money doesn't buy happiness," but sometimes love doesn't always buy happiness, particularly when two people are struggling with finances and are working at unfulfilling and low paying jobs.

Try to think about the wait time as time to prepare for a new life, time to learn more about the young woman you love, and time to explore employment options. Plan some long trips to Italy, and have her visit you in the States. Remember that a long distance relationship doesn't have to be long distance all the time. :D

However, if you DO decide to make the move immediately, I WANT YOUR APARTMENT. :wink:
Em

Thanks So Much!

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Your response made a lot of sense! Particularly the part about the documents. I think your right in that those docs are the most important, and there are NO ERRORs on any of those docs, except the name of my Great Grandmother. But like you said, she doesn't really make a big difference.

I'm going to contact the clerk's offices where I got them and see if I can get them changed. Better to be safe then sorry! Lame cliche' I know, but sometimes you gotta be proud to be american!

About the wait time, it is terrible! I was thinking of actually leaving USA and moving in with my girlfriend and applying from Italy. I read in some of these boards that it's possible.

About my fabulous apartment, the landlord doesn't know I'm here...so while its an amazing deal, I could get kicked out at any time. The guy on the lease is in a Nursing home!

In anycase, I would leave my job, apartment, friends to be with my girlfriend in Italy. IF I knew I could get a citizenship. Here I'm not happy no matter how much money I have. I just don't want to go back to Italy and have to work illegally at a restaurant again. It was fun for a month...

I need to relax and not stress about this so much. She's going to be here in three weeks so we can be together at least for a week.

Thanks!
FrustratedInNYC

Postby Em » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:27 am

Best of luck; I'm sure things will work out for you.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to work in a restaurant for a day, let alone permanently.
Em

Good News!

Postby FrustratedInNYC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:26 pm

I called one of the clerk's office and it turns out that the doc with the wrong dates was actually her mistake. The actual marriage certificate has the correct dates, but the certified copy she sent me had a typo. So all I need to do is get it resent from her.

The other docs with my Great Grandmother having the name change, they said that I should call the county to see if she had a legal name change and get that document. If not I can get an affidavid from one of her living family members saying that was the name she went by in the United States.
FrustratedInNYC

Return to Documents