Best way to send request to Comune

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Best way to send request to Comune

Postby jamato » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:24 pm

In your experiences, what is the best (most effective) way to send requests to a Comune (for me it's Salerno and Angri)? U.S. Mail, Global Priority, or should I go the Fed Ex route? I am planning on sending everything "Registered" mail through the US Post Office Global Priority service. Has anyone got any better ideas?

I would also be interested in hearing your experiences with either of the two Comuni I am sending to (Salerno and Angri). I heard that someone had success in sending to the Archivi di Stato of the Province (which is a bit different than a local Comune if I understand it correctly?)

Thanks for your help
jamato

Postby Miserdo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 am

I would send it via the US Postal Service as regular international mail. It costs around 80 cents. You are wasting your money paying for global priority mail.
Miserdo

Postby capitul » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 am

I had great success e-mailing! Got all my documents in a few weeks. :D
capitul

Postby peggymckee » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Dear Capitul (or anyone else!)

By any chance do you understand enough Italian to tell me if I can request the certificates by Email? I don't know who to Email--or if they offer this service. Again thanks. Peg

Stazzema comune home page
www.comune.stazzema.lu.it/index.php

People & family section
http://www.comune.stazzema.lu.it/index. ... tiche&id=4

Many thanks, Peggy M
peggymckee

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:00 am

I just sent a letter via registered mail on june 29 and got all my requested documents yesterday :)
Anonymous

Postby peggymckee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 am

Dear Celtic,

Congratulations! Why did you choose "registered" (US Global Priority) over regular airmail?

Proof of mailing?
Making your letter seem important when it arrived at the Italian Civil records office?
Other?

I sent my requests July 6 (to Stazzema) & July 12 (to Sesto Fiorentino) via regular air mail, so I'm still waiting.

Peg
peggymckee

Postby capitul » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 am

I had great success with e-mail. I've heard horror stories about the Italian mail system!
capitul

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:38 pm

peggymckee wrote:Dear Celtic,

Congratulations! Why did you choose "registered" (US Global Priority) over regular airmail?

Proof of mailing?
Making your letter seem important when it arrived at the Italian Civil records office?
Other?

I sent my requests July 6 (to Stazzema) & July 12 (to Sesto Fiorentino) via regular air mail, so I'm still waiting.

Peg

I didn't send it global priority, just registered mail which cost ten dollars on top of the cost for regular international postage (90 cents). I read on a website that it was better to send requests with registered mail- they're kept under stricter security to make sure they get there I guess. I didn't want to take any chances. In the letter I asked the them to charge me for the postage, etc., but was never asked for anything.
Anonymous

Postby arg1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:40 pm

I had a similar experience. I would highly recommend going through the comune if you feel up to it (it took me a while to get my courage up to it :) ). I sent a request via regular mail to the comune and got my document within 2 1/2 weeks. I enclosed a self-addressed envelope and in my letter requesting the document asked them to charge me with any extra costs (they didn't).
Good Luck!

Marisa
arg1

Postby peggymckee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:54 am

Hi! On July 12, I mailed a regular airmail letter (90 cents) to Comune di Sesto Fiorentino asking for "l'estratto dell'atto di nascita in carta libera" for my grandfather and saying that I wanted it for dual citizenship application. Today (July 23) I received an Email saying it's on it's way.

What I will receive is perfect for my dual citizenship application but it is only an abstract (extract).

I recently learned that I could have asked for "copia integrale dell'atto di nascita" in order to have the copy from the actual birth record (not an abstract). That way I would also have learned my greatgrandmother's maiden name & perhaps other information.

Still, I'm thrilled that I got such a quick response and plan to write again once I receive the extract. Peg
peggymckee

Postby Miserdo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:35 pm

The estratto is precisely what you need for the consulate. It lists the birthplace, date, and mother and father's names. This is what the consulate wants.
Miserdo

Postby peggymckee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks for the information. I can't wait until it arrives! Peg
peggymckee

Success the old fashioned way

Postby jamato » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Well, I sent a request regular air mail to the Comune of Trevico and 10 days later received not only the birth certificates I asked for, but also the marriage certificates and the "state of the family" census stuff from Italy. They were sent priority mail from Italy, the Comune didn't charge me anything, and even wrote me a nice letter inside and told me (in Italian), "Don't worry about your Italian! Everybody has to learn sometime!"

Now if only I could get the same response from the bigger comunes, namely Salerno. Has anyone had any experience with Salerno?
jamato

Return to Documents