Fathers & Mothers name discrepancies - advice please

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Fathers & Mothers name discrepancies - advice please

Postby magendim » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 pm

I've got a couple of name discrepancies on my mothers birth certicate and between my name & my fathers name (& my mother's married name) on his birth cert.

Can someone tell me if these should be corrected or if I can let them slide?

FYI, I am applying via my maternal GF, so the critical lineage is me -> mother -> her father.

On my mothers's birth cert her name & her fathers name reads Dorse when it should Dorso (all of my GFs other records read Dorso). Also, her mother is listed as Deluc when it should be Deluca. I have marriage records that list the correct spellings which is what PA Vital records will accept for correction, so I can & probably will get this one fixed.

On my fathers birth cert, there is a bigger discrepancy:
My name, my mothers married name & my fathers name listed on his death and marriage certs is Gendimenico, but on his birth cert his last name and his fathers name is listed as Giandominico. I was told it was mangled over his school years into Gendimenico. The actual correct spelling on his birth cert should be Giandomenico also.

I might be able to get his birth cert changed to Gendimenico with the other docs I have, but wondering if I really need to do that or if I can let it go since my parents marriage cert has the correct spellings and it is on the "non-italian side"?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike
magendim

Postby Pdelis50 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 pm

I would try to change as much as you could, you maybe be able to change it through the local town, I believe the less discepencies the better
When I went last to the NY consulate in Dec 2005, I had the review of my case stopped when there 3 different spellings of my great grandmothers name (who wasn't even part of the lineage in which I was claiming citizenship)
Pdelis50

Postby peggymckee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:44 am

Pdelis50 wrote:The review of my case stopped when there were 3 different spellings of my great grandmothers name.

What happened next? Did you have to make changes, did you give up?

Many thanks, Peggy M
peggymckee

Postby magendim » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:58 pm

I spoke with PA Vital records today. My mothers birth cert is fairly easy to change. Since she is still alive, we can mark up the changes on the reverse side cert, have her sign it with a notary and they'll send a new cert with the corrections. Easy enough...

My father's is a different story - since he's deceased, we would need a court order to change the birth certificate. I'm hoping that since he is not the side we are applying through, they'll be ok with that one discrepancy, since his marriage and death certificate do match our last name.
magendim

Postby peggymckee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:23 pm

magendim wrote:since he's deceased, we would need a court order to change the birth certificate.

By any chance do you know which court handles these requests--county, probate, state supreme, chancery, etc. I'm sure it varies by state, but I'm trying to get a general picture of the process.

Many thanks, Peggy M
peggymckee

Postby magendim » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:30 pm

I think name changes are handled by the county courts, but not positive about that or it may vary by state. (name changes posted in the newspapers are usually thorugh the county court here in CA)

There are probably some folks here on the board that have gone through that process & would know better of the whole procedure.

Mike
magendim

Postby Pdelis50 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:29 pm

peggymckee wrote:
Pdelis50 wrote:The review of my case stopped when there were 3 different spellings of my great grandmothers name.

What happened next? Did you have to make changes, did you give up?

Many thanks, Peggy M

I managed to get some of these names corrected, but as I have been posting, there are numerous other problems with my application, so for now it is on hold.
Pdelis50

Postby Michele » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Mike:

I see that you are correcting records in Pennsylvania. I have looked at the Vital Records Web site and my problem is that neither the informant nor the funeral director are alive. do you have this problem?

Michael
Michele

Return to Documents