Getting Italian Documents

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Getting Italian Documents

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:53 am

Ciao a tutti:

I have noticed a number of organizations on the web that offer to get Italian documents for a fee. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these organizations and, if so, what your experience was.

I believe I asked this question a few years ago and was soundly chastised by the responses. BUT. I work long hours and I have two little children so I have little time to try to work through bureaucracy if i can avoid it.

Any insight or advice you have will me much appreciated.

Grazie,

Michele
Michele

Postby mmaughan271 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 am

No experience here with the organizations you describe, so you may wish to skip to the next reply.

But, I can't imagine a more benign question then the one you asked, and wonder who felt the need to chastise you and why.

No need to describe my own family's situation, but we had no need for an outsider's detective work to find the right comune, or a translator to write the request for us, or even the speed the organizations hint they can provide. Given all that, we didn't pay for help. If any of the above had been different for us, of course we would have done what you describe. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
mmaughan271

Postby CJC » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:47 am

Due to my cynical nature I am highly skeptical of the companies that say they can retreive these documents for you, though I'm sure many of them can.

When I sent away for the Italian maintained portion of my documentation I used the letter that was available at:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

You will need to modify their form letter to get the document you want and to identify and send it to the appropriate commune. I did that and had the documents I needed in about 2 weeks. The time it will take you will vary depending on a variety of things, mostly bureacratic, but I think this may work for you.

Of course, this assumes you know which commune has the documents you are seeking.

I'd try this first as it should cause you to incur little if any cost for the documents. The worst case scenario is that it doesn't work then you go with one of the companies you mentioned.
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:16 pm

Grazie CJC.

I am priniting out the letters now as I type this message. I will post them this afternoon.

Michele
Michele

Postby JimC » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:27 pm

Michele

ICGS (the company that runs this board) can get documents from Italy for a fee. It may take 4 or 5 months but they will get them for you if they are available. It took just a little over 4 months to get mine. Just be patient. If you go to the main part of the website you can get the info on ordering.

Jim
JimC

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 am

Grazie Jim.

On Thursday I sent off letters that I created using the website that CJC provided. To make the documents more personal I copied them onto my own stationary without the website id info, etc. I was very careful. They looked very nice. I was very proud of my self. I showed them to my co-worker. And, you will all love this, when I changed my grandfather's letter to my grandmother's letter, I missed a change that I had to make. Soooooooo the request for my grandmother's birthcertificate was sent to the correct place, Montoro Superiore, but says that she was born in Aquilonia. Hmmmmmmm. I must think what to do about this.

Just shows you cannot be too careful. I should have had someone else proof read them BEFORE I sent them off.

Ciao,

Michelle
Michele

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:54 am

And one other thing Jim:

I did look at the document service on this site and it is much more reasonable priced than others that i have seen.

Michele
Michele

Documents for fees

Postby C Racciato » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:07 pm

I used the company that runs this board to try to get two birth certificates. The fees are reasonable, but there is a bit of lag time. I also didn't have time to go try and track these down myself, and didn't find this board until long after I had ordered my documents. If I had known then what I found out here, I might have tried it myself. But these guys looked like the best deal from what I could find online then. So far they have found one of the birth certificates, and it is on its way. The second one is being researched, but they couldn't give me anything more specific than that. The company did mention that it is hard to get Italian archivists to work during the summer. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But if somebody over there is only doing this part time, I wouldn't be surprised.

-CR
C Racciato

Postby Daniel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:09 pm

Because of our low costs we're quite limited in what we can do to speed up the process. We know of individuals who have gotten documents quite quickly on their own, but there seems to be quite a high price associated with that. We have our staff make phone calls for orders that are taking longer than usual to come through, but more often than not the answer is 'We haven't gotten to it yet". We've received complaints from individuals that've been able to retrieve certificates very quickly by personally visiting the comune in question. Well, yes...those who walk in off the street are generally dealt with right away, while requests submitted via mail are put on hold. We simply can't afford to hire dozens of individuals to visit each of the over 3,000 comuni unless we start charging extremely high prices, which isn't what ICGS is about. We're a very small company with a small staff and that's how we'd like to keep it for the foreseeable future.

It's also difficult to put a time estimate on a request because there are not enough consistent factors. Some customers are very lucky (especially recently) and get theirs within a month, whereas I was sorting newly arrived certs the other day and some were requested over a year ago; we're still not sure what the hold-up was, exactly. It's also more of a problem during the summer as it's by far the busiest time of the year for those researching their ancestry and trying to gain citizenship through our company as well as others.

Thankfully, the vast majority of our customers are very patient and understanding, which is definitely a requirement when trying to gain Italian citizenship!

Cheers,

Daniel McLean
Italian Citizenship & Genealogy Services
Daniel
Site Admin

Time

Postby C Racciato » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the cost or time involved. I realize that you guys have limited staff to do this, and again I did say that you were the best deal I had found. And as I said, the delays seem to be on the other end, not with you. :wink:

-CR
C Racciato

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm

No worries, I was just hoping to clarify a few things, no lecturing intended!
Daniel
Site Admin

I need help finding out what is going on

Postby mariobuoniconti » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:58 pm

I just my oder for an birth certificate about 3 weeks ago. I have not heard anything and was wondering if anyone knows what is going on. I have also tried to email them 3 times.
mariobuoniconti

Re: I need help finding out what is going on

Postby C Racciato » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:08 pm

mariobuoniconti wrote:I just my oder for an birth certificate about 3 weeks ago. I have not heard anything and was wondering if anyone knows what is going on. I have also tried to email them 3 times.

It can take these guys a while to get to you. I put in my order a few months back, and have gotten one of the two documents so far. Just be patient. :wink:

-CR
C Racciato

Waiting over a year for certificates from ICGS

Postby katie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:20 pm

I ordered my Italian certificates from ICGS more than a year ago. I keep checking in, but no one has gotten back to me in months and I'm getting very very impatient. I would think someone would contact me for more information if they had trouble finding the certificates, or let me know if they were found. I don't know what to do at this point and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. All I want is a response!
katie

Postby drovedo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:40 am

My Italian Citizenship . com etc

Is a genuine company. Used their service while ago, etc. If you have further questions about the validity of company, I would email Daniel and ask him, then you can verify it.

I think that the difference in price between those set up on "the continent" and ICGS may just be that they might have lawyers who are doing the work or owning the company. Just a thought, what else would explain the prices. And certainly, it would make sense to stay in price range of competitors rather than .... I also think that perhaps the prices they charge are basically backup monies for them for particularily long and difficult research projects.
I think that getting records from Italy is like getting a kid to clean his room.
Its a matter of scolding and embarrassing him into cleaning it. That seems to be what is happening between Services and the comune.

I think that it is important to follow up verbally with comune when they give no response, but don't **** off.

:roll:
##########################################
drovedo

Next

Return to Documents