Name Discrepencies // Options?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Name Discrepencies // Options?

Postby italianchulo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:30 am

Hi, I just started to obtain documents required for dual citizenship in italy. I already see a name discrepency. If my last name was Ricciardi, but my paternal great grand father's surname (on his atto di nascita) is spelled Recciardi , would this be a problem? His naturalization papers spells his name Ricciardi also. What are my options here? Could I do an AKA for my last name just to match his spelling from his birth record while still using my spelling?
italianchulo

Misspelled name

Postby NOLA » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 am

That would depend on the consulate. Usually everything follows from the Atto di Nascita.
NOLA

Re: Misspelled name

Postby Pdelis50 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:47 pm

I would also think how many differnent spellings that they are. I know when I went to the NYC consulate 2 years ago, my application was stopped when there were 3 different spellings of my great grandmother name ( who I wasn't even claiming citizenship from) My surname also has an Apostrophe, which does not show up on all the documents. The fewer the better, but I would wait until you collected all of the paper work before changing names etc.
Pdelis50

Postby peggymckee » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:09 pm

Pdelis50 wrote:my application was stopped when there were 3 different spellings of my great grandmother name

Your great grandmother's last name or her first name?

Many thanks, Peggy M
peggymckee

Postby italianchulo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:17 pm

But how in the world is it possible that ANYONE could obtain their dual citizenship? Because to me, the swtiching from Italian names such as Caterina to Katherine or Catherine most likely has occured on most everyone's ancestors documents while passing a few generations span. We are talking about almost 100 years span of time, and 4 generations worth of events, and in to different countries with different languages! I cant imagine that anyone has every piece of information matching exactly within all of the documents. How are people successful in obtaining their doppia's ?
I heard about the avidavit, can someone explain to me about the avidavit and process and if it applys here?
italianchulo

Postby Em » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:34 am

Whether or not discrepancies are accepted is at the discretion of the consulate. Most are forgiving of exact translations of given names (John/Giovanni; Mary/Maria) and obvious typos even of surnames. But there are never any guarantees.

Some consulates will ignore inaccuracies of ascendents not in the Italian line (some consulates do not even require documents for these people); some do not.

IMHO, the Recciardi/Ricciardi discrepancy would pass muster at most consulates, but one never knows.
Em

Postby italianchulo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:35 pm

what does it mean to pass muster? does this look good for me if its the only mistake i have or is it bad and i shouldnt try it?
italianchulo

Postby Em » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:46 am

By that I mean that I don't think many consulates will consider it to be a problem.
Em

Postby Pdelis50 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 pm

peggymckee wrote:
Pdelis50 wrote:my application was stopped when there were 3 different spellings of my great grandmother name

Your great grandmother's last name or her first name?

Many thanks, Peggy M

It was her last name, each case had one letter wrong. I did manage to get these corrected, but if you follow this board there are other problems with my application.
Pdelis50

Postby Pdelis50 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:03 pm

italianchulo wrote:But how in the world is it possible that ANYONE could obtain their dual citizenship? Because to me, the swtiching from Italian names such as Caterina to Katherine or Catherine most likely has occured on most everyone's ancestors documents while passing a few generations span. We are talking about almost 100 years span of time, and 4 generations worth of events, and in to different countries with different languages! I cant imagine that anyone has every piece of information matching exactly within all of the documents. How are people successful in obtaining their doppia's ?
I heard about the avidavit, can someone explain to me about the avidavit and process and if it applys here?

I tried 2 affadivits a few years ago, unfortunately, It did not work. basically I had one from my maternal grandfather ( who is still alive) vouch for my paternal side as he knew all the people involved (5 generations). The other I had vouched that the name discrepencies were all the same people, The NY consulate official was surprised when I produced the first one ( to think anyone was alive who knew my GG grandfather), but the second one had no weight.
Pdelis50

Return to Documents