Gathering Documents Phase

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Gathering Documents Phase

Postby tonyric » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Last edited by tonyric on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyric

Postby Em » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Neither is likely to be a problem. Francesco/Frank is an obvious Americanization, and if I read your post correctly, your ggrandmother is not in the direct citizenship line. Since your grandmother is also in the non-citizenship line, her name issues are probably also insignificant.
Em

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 am

Em Thank you :)

I have read from many that the only documentation I will need to present is anything with the males name on it. This means that my GGM, GM and Mothers BC's are not required? Is this true?
tonyric

Postby Em » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 am

Assuming you are going through the male line, of course. It also much depends on your consulate. New York, Newark, and a number of other consulates only require documentation from the direct line. Some consulates want everything.
Em

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:13 am

Em wrote:Assuming you are going through the male line, of course. It also much depends on your consulate. New York, Newark, and a number of other consulates only require documentation from the direct line. Some consulates want everything.

However even the lenient consulates may request a non-direct line document under some circumstances. New York demanded to see my mother's birth certificate (I went myself -> father -> grandfather) due to a perceived discrepancy in her name on other documents.

Thankfully, I was able to clear up the discrepancy without having to present her birth certificate as it is a hopeless jumble of misspellings and other errors.

I would advise trying to round up as many documents as possible from any and all possible bloodlines. You never can tell when one line will present insurmountable problems...
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 am

I will go in with all documents I can get my hands on/have. This will of course (unless some nugget of information drops out of the sky and provides me with my GGM's birth place)exclude my GGM's BC. Hopefully it will not be an issue. :)
tonyric

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:19 pm

So, I went to the NARA office in Waltham MA today. What a waste of time that was. I was told in no uncertain terms that if I can't find it on ancestry.com then I won't find it there. What good are they if they cannot help? lol They wouldn't even try to assist me with strategy. LOL Just pointed me to the microfilm and said that I could go through all of 1910 line by line.
tonyric

Postby Em » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Tony, post on www.italiangenealogy.com The posters there may be able to help you. They have access to more sources than you can imagine.
Em

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:57 pm

Em, thanks, I am cross posting across four sites in hopes of covering all possible ideas. italiangenealogy is one of them :)
tonyric

Postby tonyric » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Wanted to give you folks an update:

Got my GGF's birth certificate last week WOOT! Received notification from IGCS that Maria (Domenica)'s birth certificate is on it's way to me so I should have that next week and then I will know for sure how to proceed with her BC. If it states Domenica as a middle name, then great, no problem. If it doesn't then my father, uncle and aunt (my GGF's grandchildren) will sign affidavits that while she used Domenica here in the states, their father always referred to her as Maria Domenica and that should take care of the name problem.

Next up is the appostilles and the letters of no appeal for my divorces. Also, I need to contact the Boston Consulate (Mr. Corrao) and explain the situation around my first marriage license which is 21 years old and cannot be reproduced. Hopefully, I can get a letter from the Japanese Consulate to confirm this and see what he wants me to do about that. I am hoping that will not be an issue at all. The last thing I need to do is to correct my grandfathers mothers name on his death certificate (correct first name but the last name on it is my grandmothers mothers maiden name).

Once the items in the last paragraph are complete, then I will be good to go. I think I should be no more than 1-2 months from having it all together. I think I will scan in everything I have after I get my GGM's birth certificate and send it to Mr. Corrao and let him tell me what needs to be done (appostilles, death certificate correction, etc). I am so close that I can taste it. :)

Thank you all for your ongoing assistance with this, it has been a learning experience. It has also got me into doing a full blown family tree. I currently have that 7 generations deep from my son to my GGgrandparents in two places and so wide that I have only been able to work on one side (paternal) of my family and that is already at ~150 people and growing, my mothers side has largely been done by another cousin of mine and that numbers some 300 people. LOL I have a much larger extended family than I realized. :D

Tony
tonyric

Companies Finding documents in Italy

Postby gringa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Tracking down the birth certificates of my grandparents was the hardest part of the process. In the end I found a friend living in Italy who got them for me. Once all the papers were in order-certified copies, apostilles,translations and stamps- it was easy. I got my passport within six weeks.
Last edited by gringa on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gringa

Return to Documents