A couple of questions

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

A couple of questions

Postby Erik25 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 am

What if my parents were never married (mother not Italian, father Italian when I was born), that means there's no marriage certificate?
And do I need my father to obtain all the documents, such as his birth certificate and his certificate of Naturalization etc..?
Erik25

Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:54 am

Hello. It doesn`t matter if your parents ever married, as legitimacy does not hinder you from obtaining your birthright. You would still qualify for dual citizenship. However, you would have to prove they never married, as the Consulate would insist on a certificate or affidavit.

Your father should be the one to obtain the certificates, especially his birth. have him make out an "affidavit", declaring that he was never married or not married at the time of your birth. He can do this himself and then sign it before a notary.
Anonymous

Postby Erik25 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:26 pm

By the way I life in the Netherlands does that also make a difference,
if my father was Italian when I was born?
Erik25

Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:49 pm

It doesn`t matter where you are living. There is an Italian Consulate in the Netherlands. However, legal residency and current citizenship is an issue. Contact the nearest Italian Consulate, and tell them your legal status, and they will advise you.
Anonymous

Postby Erik25 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:41 am

I was also born in the Netherlands. My father recognized me as his son when I was 4, I already had and still have the Dutch nationality.
I went to the municipality house here in the Netherlands where I live and they said that I already have the Italian nationality/ citizenship, is that possible?
Erik25

Postby Anonymous » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:46 am

Is it possible? of course! You have an advantage. You are an EU citizen already. I would advise you to contact the Consulate, and explain your circumstances
Anonymous

Postby Maria » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:03 am

Erik,
Here is the website of the Italian consulate in Amsterdam:
http://sedi.esteri.it/amsterdam/index1.html

and the page with all the info on citizenship recognition and documentation needed:
http://sedi.esteri.it/amsterdam/information.htm

FYI there is a vice consulate in Eindhoven
http://sedi.esteri.it/amsterdam/vicecon01.html

Good luck!
Maria

Postby Erik25 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:36 am

Thanks for the answers.
I still have one question left: does it matter that my father has the dutch nationality now and not the Italian anymore. He had the Italian nationality when I was born and when he recognzed me as his son.
Erik25

Postby Em » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:14 am

All that matters is that he was a citizen of Italy when you were born.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:16 am

Eric, it DOES NOT matter, as far as you applying for Italian citizenship, as your father was an Italian citizen, at the time of your birth.
The US, is one of just a few countries that requires a person to give up allegiance to their native country to become US citizens. I am not certain if the Netherlands forces immigrants to denounce their allegiance. BUT, if the Netherlands is like the US, than you will have to obtain his Naturalization records from the Government source. Contact the Consulate, and look over the links provided by Maria for documents you are required to obtain for your application
Anonymous

Return to Documents