Name and date changes: where to start?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Name and date changes: where to start?

Postby HudsonValley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Dear All,
I'm new to this whole process of obtaining Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis.
We are going this through my spouse's grand father.
There are some name and date discrepancies in the documents.
For example, he was born as Odoardo. Came to USA as Eduardo (ship manifest). He got married as Eduard. Naturalized as Charles (no mentioning of Eduardo) :shock: . Died as Charles Edward.
On his son's (who's my spouses father) birth certificate he first was mentioned as Eduardo, then somebody crossed his name out and wrote Charles above it.
Also on his Italian birth certificate, his day of birth is 25. On Naturalization certificate day of the month is 24. On death certificate - 26.
My question is, do we need to change these discrepancies? If so how do we do it? I would be grateful for a link or a message that would explain the whole process of changing vital records step-by-step (in Connecticut).
Our consulate is NYC.
Thank you very much in advance for your help, it will be very much appreciated.
HudsonValley.
HudsonValley

Postby valentinaroan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi HudsonValley,
First of all, I haven't had my appointment at NYC yet, so take my opinion for what it's worth :wink: However, as a general rule, I would try to amend as many discrepancies as you can. As far as I know, Connecticut does not had a unified system for making corrections. You need to contact the Town Clerk of the town where the document in question originated. I just (as in today) corrected my own CT birth certificate, and the process was exceedingly simple. Hope that helps. Good luck!
valentinaroan

Postby matta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:38 pm

If it's simple, I would definitely make the correction. When it gets to the level of requiring a court order, I would check with the consulate to see what's needed.

It seems like the biggest concerns the consulates have are 1) last name, 2) date of birth, and 3) place of birth and, 4) first name in that order. Usually a small change in a first name or a translation (Eduardo to Edward) isn't a problem, but Eduardo -> Charles might be something you want to have corrected.
matta

Postby HudsonValley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi, thank you for your input.
The thing is I don't even know how and where to start with the changes. Do you have any idea?

matta wrote:If it's simple, I would definitely make the correction. When it gets to the level of requiring a court order, I would check with the consulate to see what's needed.

It seems like the biggest concerns the consulates have are 1) last name, 2) date of birth, and 3) place of birth and, 4) first name in that order. Usually a small change in a first name or a translation (Eduardo to Edward) isn't a problem, but Eduardo -> Charles might be something you want to have corrected.
HudsonValley

Postby HudsonValley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Valentin,
could you please give me some idea what the procss looks like? The thing is that the most of the correctons will be done in the documents of a deceased person.
Thanks in advance.
HudsonValley

valentinaroan wrote:Hi HudsonValley,
First of all, I haven't had my appointment at NYC yet, so take my opinion for what it's worth :wink: However, as a general rule, I would try to amend as many discrepancies as you can. As far as I know, Connecticut does not had a unified system for making corrections. You need to contact the Town Clerk of the town where the document in question originated. I just (as in today) corrected my own CT birth certificate, and the process was exceedingly simple. Hope that helps. Good luck!
HudsonValley

Postby valentinaroan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:05 pm

When I changed my Birth Certificate, all the town clerk wanted to see was a certified copy of my Mom's Birth Certificate (the correction that I wanted to make had to do with Mom's name). She typed up a new copy of my B.C., and I walked out of the town hall with a new, corrected, certified copy about 15 minutes later. However, I'm guessing the process may be a little more difficult if the document is for a deceased person. What I would do if I were you is make a list of your discrepancies, and then call each Town Clerk for the towns in which the documents originated. Explain your situation, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a unified system in CT. You have to talk to each Town Clerk, and they will tell you if it is possible to correct the document, and if so, what proof they will need to see to make the correction. However, the good news is that CT is supposed to be one of the easiest states to work with.
valentinaroan

Postby valentinaroan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 pm

I know I kind of repeated myself, but unfortunately, that's all I know. :? Sorry!
valentinaroan

Postby valentinaroan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:15 pm

Here's a link for contact info for CT Town Clerks. It's under "County Associations".
http://www.ctclerks.com/content/1230/default.aspx
Good luck!
valentinaroan

Postby magendim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Small piece of advice - do not make any corrections until you have all your documents in hand. You may end up finding different names, etc on older docs...
magendim

Postby jlg » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:24 pm

magendim wrote:Small piece of advice - do not make any corrections until you have all your documents in hand. You may end up finding different names, etc on older docs...

I second this suggestion. Sometimes the consular official will want the death changed to match the birth, or sometimes they will prefer the birth changed to match the marriage and death. Sometimes they don't care. You want to see which they want to make things easier.

-jlg
jlg

Return to Documents