Cook County, Illinois Marriage Certificate

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Cook County, Illinois Marriage Certificate

Postby Giuseppe » Sun May 14, 2006 1:56 am

I’m experiencing some difficulty with my parents’ marriage certificate from Cook County, Illinois. The problem is that the county clerk’s office did not include parental information on marriage certificates (or the application) prior to 1968, and my parents were married in the 1940s. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and, if so, how did you resolve this? Will the Italian consulate accept a marriage certificate without parental information? I would hate for my application to be denied based on this. Thank you.

Ciao,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby Em » Sun May 14, 2006 10:26 am

That's interesting. My grandfather's NY certificate had info. on his parents (most helpful in obtaining birth certificates); my parents' certificate from Texas does not have this information, nor does my own NY marriage certificate. I honestly don't think it matters. Your have the birth certificate with parents' names, and the same name appears on the marriage certificate (with the same birthday). That is enough of a connection.
Em

Postby lemurbaby » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:06 pm

I had the exact same thing happen, so I requested the application for the marriage license, only to learn that also did not have the full names of the parents of the couple. I requested that a county clerk write a letter confirming that this information is not provided on marriage documents in Cook County- but when you request this, make sure to have someone notarize the county clerk's signature at the time they sign it (not stamp their signature but actually sign it) so that it can be apostilled with the rest of your docs. I don't know if it's going to be necessary but learned that letter could not have the apostille attached for that reason and have yet to see whether this will pose a problem at the Italian consulate when all the docs are submitted.
Good luck!
lemurbaby

Postby Giuseppe » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:17 pm

I explained the situation to the clerk’s office and they prepared a letter for me explaining that the parental information was not included on either marriage certificates or applications until 1968.

I did request that they certify the letter; however, they replied that they were unable to do so. But they also added that they were familiar with the requirements of the Italian consulate and the letter is not required to be certified.

My appointment with the consulate (Los Angeles) is not until November 2007, so I guess I will see then if it’s okay or not.

If anybody else has this problem with Cook County, feel free to contact me as I have a good contact person for their office. Good luck to all.

Best regards,
Giuseppe
Giuseppe

Postby lemurbaby » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info!
lemurbaby

Return to Documents