Cook County IL, amend naturalization certificate!

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

Cook County IL, amend naturalization certificate!

Postby lemurbaby » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:03 pm

Hello everyone,

My grandfather's birthdate is listed incorrectly on my great-grandfather's naturalization certificate. The clerk of court that gave me the docs has no idea how to amend them.
Ideas??
lemurbaby

Postby Em » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:15 pm

I don't know if they can be amended, but other documentation should substantiate that your grandfather is indeed the son of your grandfather.

Another possibility comes to mind. My grandfather's petition also lists an incorrect birthdate for my dad. I obtained the certified copies of the naturalization papers through NARA, and the Oath of Allegience, which was included, had the date of my grandfather's naturalization on it. The Oath does not include the names and/or birth dates of his children. New York says they will accept this in lieu of a Certificate of Naturalization; perhaps your consulate will as well. If they do, it eliminates any potential problem.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:42 am

Lermurbaby,

The Naturalization certificate IS NOT a vital record to be amended, like a birth cert.

As EM suggests, you have the other documents to substantiate your claim.

Of course verify this with the consular official, but I doubt it is a problem
Anonymous

Naturalization paper (s)

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Can someone please tell me if all the papers involved in the naturalization process are needed.
All meaning the Certificate of Naturalization, certified, The Declaration of Intention, Petition for Naturalization and the Oath of Allegiance, all certified. I have been trying to get in touch with the Italian Consulate in Chicago, to ask what is needed, but no luck so far.
Appreciate any help I can get!
Laroma
Anonymous

Re: Naturalization paper (s)

Postby ejd » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:34 pm

Laura Stadelman wrote:Can someone please tell me if all the papers involved in the naturalization process are needed.
All meaning the Certificate of Naturalization, certified, The Declaration of Intention, Petition for Naturalization and the Oath of Allegiance, all certified. I have been trying to get in touch with the Italian Consulate in Chicago, to ask what is needed, but no luck so far.
Appreciate any help I can get!
Laroma

I think all you're going to need is the Certificate of Naturalization. I'm going to apply through Detroit and the list the vice consulate in Cleveland provided didn't include the other stuff you mentioned. Granted, Detroit's requirements vary slightly from others, but the Cert. of Naturalization (or a No-Record Certification if your ancestor was never naturalized) appears to be standard for all consulates and not that other stuff.
ejd

Postby Em » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:43 pm

If you have the Certificate of Naturalization, you should be all set.

If not, it's possible at some consulates (Newark and New York are two examples) to use the other documents instead, providing that the date of naturalization is written on the Oath (as it was for my grandfather).

The Certificate of Naturalization takes a longer time to obtain (about a year), so if you don't have this, it may be worth the effort to get to the consulate and ask. You can obtain the petition, the decl. of intent and the oath in one day.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 pm

:D
Oh, thank you all so very much!!! I have a copy of the Nat. paper and am in the process of trying to obtain a certified copy.
The Chicago office, in their online requirements, didn't specify all of them or only one of them.
So, this information is a big help!
Mille grazie, a tutti
Laura
Anonymous

Return to Documents