amending CA death cert takes 9 months- short cuts?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

amending CA death cert takes 9 months- short cuts?

Postby lemurbaby » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:08 am

Hello everyone,

My grandfather's birth date is incorrect on his death certificate. I have completed the affidavit to amend, but they say it can take up to 9 months to process and send me a certified amended death certificate.

On other posts I've seen people mention the possibility of attesting to discrepancies in names and having the document notarized, then apostilled. Can I do the same thing when the problem is dates? Or do I have to officially amend these docs? I already have certified apostilled death certificates with the incorrect dates on them (only noticed the discrepancy afterward).

Thanks for your suggestions!
lemurbaby

Postby Em » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:48 am

An incorrect date on the death certificate should not pose too much of a problem. You will have other documents (birth, naturalization, marriage) that will have the correct date listed. However, each consulate makes its own determination as to what is acceptable and what is not. Logic says this shouldn't be a problem, but you really need to check this out with your consulate.

And yes, a discrepancy with dates can be handled in the same way as other discrepancies.
Em

Return to Documents