"no Record" NARA and Census?

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

"no Record" NARA and Census?

Postby euromerp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:05 am

My great grandfather never naturalized as a US citizen. I've been able to figure out from the ISCIS website how to order and Index Search and No Record Certification. However, I am having no luck figuring out how to do the same with the National Archives or how to get a survey report of census records done.

Has anyone had to do these things in order to "prove" that your relative never became a US citizen?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss.

thank you!
euromerp

Re: "no Record" NARA and Census?

Postby beachgirl76 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm almost in the same place as you. My closest consulate is LA and on their website this is what their rules are:

a) Two Official statements (in original not photocopy, and with the office Seal) the first one from the Homeland Security in Washington D.C. (425 I Street NW, 2nd Floor - ULLICO Bldg, Washington, D.C. 20536 (www.homelandsecurity.gov or http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis ) and the second one from the Court County in which he resided, stating the N. of the Certificate of Naturalization and the date of his naturalization. The statement must show your father's full name (and any other names he/she went by on any official documents), place of birth and date of birth, date of the naturalization, certificate number ; if he never became US citizen you have to show his Italian passport and Alien Registration Card.

b) IF THE RESEARCH SHOWS NO RECORD: you are requested to double check with the "NATIONAL ARCHIVES" (www.nara.gov) requesting a full search under his name and nicknames, possible dates of birth which he may have declared in the course of his life. If the record is found, you will obtain from the National Archives a certified copy of his "petition for naturalization" and "oath of allegiance" (Please note: this Office may at any time request that you present documentation from the National Archives - in case of discrepancies - to confirm the identity reported on the certificate of naturalization).

c)If the record is still negative, you may want to ckeck with the "CENSUS", requesting a survey report dated after your date of birth;

Hope that helps. If LA isn't your consulate, get on your closest one to find out the specific rules! :D
beachgirl76

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Here's my problem: He made a declaration of intent, but never did naturalize. What documents do I need for this considering I probably won't get a "no records" letter because of the declaration of intent. I do have a 1930 census stating his status as "alien" when his son (my grandfather) was already born and age 24.
epasqueno

Postby CPA21 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:46 pm

The no record statement is no record of citizenship. A declaration of Intent is not Natualization. You still get the certificate of nonexistence.
CPA21

Postby joseph bartolini » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:41 pm

my consulate here in montreal is asking me to prove that my father, always a canadian, never became an american citizen..
He got married to a non-american in New Jersey.This for some reason has the consulate agitated.
The consulates I speak with don't seem to have an accurate address for me to write to.
Is there a way to prove a negative?
I know my father never became an american.
can anybody please help me with the procedure?
Perhaps some addresses?
Any helpful people at a consulate you may have dealt with?
I am really a bit troubled by this, I mean, how do I prove he never became an american when I know he never became an american??
aside from that, 4 years later, I have managed to collect all the other stuff, or know how to get it
Thanks, Joe
joseph bartolini

Postby CPA21 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Use the genealogy program of USCIS to start the ball rolling. You will be getting a certificate of nonexistence from DHS. I do not know if you can bypass the genealogy program or not. Start here and work your way forward:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d21f3711ca5ca110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d21f3711ca5ca110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD
CPA21

Return to Documents