New York State birth certificates hassle

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

New York State birth certificates hassle

Postby Niceto » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

I keep running into barriers: how do I obtain my deceased parents' birth certificates? They seem to require court orders to get them, I guess to protect identity theft. Any tips are welcomed. One was born in Buffalo, the other in NYC/Manhattan. email (spelled out): bic69 'at' att 'dot' net
Niceto

Re: New York State birth certificates hassle

Postby mapillajr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 am

I had the same issue in New York. I initially used Vitalchek. They wanted $65 for a marriage certificate and all the court order stuff. Try getting a court ordered power of attorney on a deceased person!

I then called the town clerk's office in the town of the marriage. Gave her the information and she called me back in 5-minutes indicating she found the record. I needed to send her a notarized letter with my request plus a check for $12. That was it!

Good luck.
mapillajr

Postby terminus » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 am

I concur with maillajr.

I have heard of people succesfully using the power of attorney provision to request forms for one person, but I'm not sure about two, unless somebody had power of attorney for both parents.
terminus

Postby jenniferl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:57 pm

mapillajr, you were lucky. It is very much dependent on the town clerk. I got some documents that way, but when I called the next town over for my great grandmother's birth certificate, she said she wasn't sure she could do it. She called the state and called me back to tell me I have to deal with the state. This is incredibly frustrating as it is now the only document I'm missing. I'm wondering if I can apply without it since I have my great father's documents and since that is the line that counts.
jenniferl

Postby jenniferl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:26 pm

I have been trying to get around the court order situation, but I decided to look it up to see what is involved. It isn't as bad as I thought, and you don't need a lawyer. I found the information here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5503599_obtain-deceased-relative-new-york.html

Good luck!
jenniferl

Postby jaco » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:01 pm

I think if its before a certian date, they are considered "historical" documents. This is what i did. For the one born in NYC you have to fill out the request for birth certificate form. You can get that on the NYC Department of Mental Health and Hygiene website. Then, go in person to their office right by China Town and hand in the form. Be sure to circle "Letter Of Exemplification" on the form and write on it "Long Form/ Certified Copy". Its 15$ a piece. They mail you them.

Do you have a copy of the death certificate? That would be perfect for the one who was born in NYC. Hand that in with your request for birth certificate form.
jaco

Re: New York State birth certificates h****le

Postby bealudobona » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:22 pm

One NY county said they would release the birth cert of my deceased GM under subpoena by a lawyer. Much quicker and easier than a court order - and this county is allowing us to serve it by mail. (Plus, my sister's a lawyer.)
bealudobona

Postby cataco516 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 pm

I need my deceased father's birth cert (Westchester County) and my deceased grandmother's birth cert (NYC) and have to go the court order route. My questions are these: How long does this take? I want to do it myself, but am I fooling myself? Do I really need a lawyer? What's a rough estimate of costs? From Westchester County I heard $95 but someone in the NYC supreme court office told me more like $350! Mind you, neither my father nor my grandmother are in the Italian line!! All of this trouble for the non-Italian lineage. Any help would be appreciated.
cataco516

Return to Documents