my blog on obtaining Italian citizenship

Gather certified copies and apostilles.

Moderator: Daniel

my blog on obtaining Italian citizenship

Postby carlassare » Mon May 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi folks -- I obtained Italian citizenship a year ago and posted this blog with information to help my cousins. I thought it would be helpful to others here too:

http://italian-citizenship.blogspot.com/
carlassare

Re: my blog on obtaining Italian citizenship

Postby sorena » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm not sure if I can be eligible for dual citizen since my paternal Italian grandfather naturalizatied in
1918. (he also served in US Navy). My father was born in US in 1924
My maternal grandfather naturalized(not sure when) and he served in Army in WWI. I am mentioning the Navy and Army because
I think if you serve in US army than can you become a citizen?
My maternal Italian grandmother came over to NY in 1920 had my mother in 1925 in USA.
Not sure if she ever naturalized because there is no on line record. I was born in mid 50's in USA.

I do have copies of my grandfather's birth cert.and my grandmother's birth cert. from Italy.

Before I go any further, is there a chance I may qualify?? All of my ancestors are from Italy on both sides.
sorena

Postby carlassare » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 pm

You would need an Italian grandparent who was still an Italian citizen at the time of your father or mother's birth. If they had already naturalized as U.S citizen at the time of your father or mother's birth, you would not be eligible. You can find the detailed eligibility requirements on the website for the Italian consulate in your area.
carlassare

Postby beachgirl76 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I've been on your blog and it's been a big help! Thank you for putting it online. I can't read or write Italian... are you forms you put on appropriate for anyone sending a letter for the same reason? What I mean exactly is did you write any information that is specific to you only (except for obvious information) that wouldn't work for me? Thanks!!
beachgirl76

Postby carlassare » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 pm

The letter should work ok for you too, but you'll need to change the names and dates. The sample letter requests both 4 copies of the birth certificate and marriage certificate of my Italian grandparents (they were born and married in the same commune in Italy). You may need to adjust the wording if you are requesting just the birth certificate or just the marriage certificate. Also, you may not need so many copies. I requested enough for each of my family members to be safe and later found out that the Consulate keeps one file for a family who applies together for Italian citizenship through the same consulate.
carlassare

Postby beachgirl76 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm

Thank you so much for your help! :D
beachgirl76

Return to Documents